Cleaning an oil spill!?!!!

Discussion in 'Food & Beverage' started by Jeru, Sep 5, 2009.

1. Jeru

Jeru Registered Member

Okay so i was making french fries:lick: and i had just taken them out of the oil and there was ice in the sink and for some reason i thought it would cool the oil quicker if i put it in there and soooooooo well i grabbed a few ice cubes and threw them in and then all the sudden the oil erupted and went all over...its on the ceiling the floor the wall the cabinets and the stove top and i tried cleaning it and nothing is working, i tried water, soap and water, pine-sol, febreeze, oxy clean, shamwowing it, iron wool....everything i do it is still there

i am mostly worried about the floor because the floor is wood and and it very slippery

Does anyone know what to do?

2. Twitch

Twitch Registered Member

Try laundry detergent and water. Then rub it in.

3. Jeru

Jeru Registered Member

Dry laundry detergent or liquid laundry detergent?

4. Iris

Iris rainbow 11!

At work we use a degreaser do you not have any? Can you run to the store and get some?

5. Jeru

Jeru Registered Member

No i dont think i have any, but i could go to the store and get some....is there anything special i have to do like a wax on wax off type thing or what?

6. Iris

Iris rainbow 11!

Nope, just paper towels and that stuff should work. It's what I do at my job, anyway lol

7. Twitch

Twitch Registered Member

I meant dry detergent. asdfasdf

8. Jeru

Jeru Registered Member

the internet suggested i use salt
    and then it suggested i use flour
    both were horrible and just made it worse
    so i am going to try the degreaser and then if that doesnt work i will go get some dry detergent
    ------
    --------
    Well the degreaser worked, i wasnt sure because every time i touched the counter tops it still felt oily but then i realized it was just me.....it was the biggest mess ever

Never throw ice cubes into a pan of hot oil!

Last edited: Sep 5, 2009
  9. pro2A

pro2A Hell, It's about time!

Ya... just for future reference ice and water do NOT mix very well with hot oil. I used to work in a restaurant and it would make huge messes...

To your question... first thing use paper towels and soak up what you can. Second I find that simple Dawn dish detergent scrubbed with a green brilo pad with a touch of water can clean most oil messes. Rinse with clean water then clean up the area with regular kitchen cleaner like Lysol or 409.

If that fails, try Easy Off oven cleaner. Be careful on wood surfaces. It should be ok on vinal and tile floors. Let it set for a few minutes. Then scrub a bit with a brilo pad. That should do the trick.

If not look online for industrial strength de-greasers. I wish I could remember the name of the stuff we used at the restaurant... I think it was Greased Lightning. I got it at the dollar store. Dilute it half and half with water in a spray bottle. I used to scrub off caked on grease from the inside of the fryers to the point I could see my reflection in the stainless steel. That stuff worked wonders.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2009
  10. Jeru

Jeru Registered Member

yea i bought some degreaser from the dollar store and the lady at the cash register asked what i was going to use it for and i thought she was joking so i said i was gonna use it to get high off of and she gave me the dirtiest look in the world