• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

PlayStation 3 Cleaning a PS3

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
Just a question to all PS3 owners, do you ever clean out the inside of your PS3? I've had my PS3 about 2 or 3 years and it has recently become REALLY loud. It hums and buzzes so loudly when it's turned on, especially when there is a disc in it. It never used to be so loud. I thought it could be because of dust build-up on the inside. I've never opened it up or anything before, but I'm considering doing it to try clean it out and see if I can make it quieter. Has anyone ever successfully done this? Or is there some other reason why it would suddenly be really loud?

BigBob

Registered Member
Open it up. I had the EXACT same problem that you had. I took the lid off of mine and there was so much dust in there that it looked like the inside of a vacuum. Get a can of air and a small Philips screwdriver because you will need to take off roughly 8 screws.

I've had mine since 2008 I believe it was and before I took the top off, mine sounded like a vacuum running for about 6-8 months. If you don't do it, you can cause it to overheat, which I was shocked mine didn't. I'll see if I still have the picture of what it looks liked inside of mine. The loud sound is the fact that the fan is most likely completely filled with dust.

This is what you'll see when you open it up. The shiney silver part is what you'll be worried about. If you see those little rectangles all over it where the fan blows out, my PS3 had two, TWO of those that were not filled with dust. All of the others were.

You will find a ton of videos on YouTube to help though.

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
Thanks Bob! That was really helpful. I will probably try and clean it out this afternoon. It's SO loud at the moment.

BigBob

Registered Member
Thanks Bob! That was really helpful. I will probably try and clean it out this afternoon. It's SO loud at the moment.
I think I was lucky when I opened mine when I did because I just left it go. As soon as I cleaned it out, the sound was gone so I'm 100% confident that's going to fix it for you.

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
Bob, I've been reading around online and some people are saying it works if you just vacuum the vents, and that if you actually open it it voids the warranty (I don't even know if mines under a warranty) and that it can be hard to put back together. Which do you think? Open up or vacuum the vents?

BigBob

Registered Member
Bob, I've been reading around online and some people are saying it works if you just vacuum the vents, and that if you actually open it it voids the warranty (I don't even know if mines under a warranty) and that it can be hard to put back together. Which do you think? Open up or vacuum the vents?
If you've had it for two or three years, your warranty is over. It's only a one year warranty. It's not hard to put it back together at all. Do not use a vacuum because you risk sucking something out that you should and you could possibly ruin the PS3. I really have done it myself, so I promise you it's not that hard to put back together.

BigBob

Registered Member
If you want me to, I'll get up tomorrow and make a video for you of me actually doing it.

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
That could be cool. I did watch a few videos but they all did something different, and all the comments were like 'No if you do it this way it will wreck your PS3' etc, so I didn't know which one to do and which one not to do.

icegoat63

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
I've taken mine sort of apart while I clean it.

When I blow it out, I usually always disengage the hard drive and blow out that slot also.

but as far as taking the full cover off I havent really ever done that because I've been afraid to bust that seal.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
ILuvChuzzles31 General Discussion 10
Crouton General Discussion 11
T Bathroom Wall 3
Dabs Bathroom Wall 2
Crouton General Discussion 20