• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

MLB Clayton Kershaw signs a 7 year 215 million dollars extension

StroShow

The return shall be legenday!
V.I.P.
“@ramonashelburne: The Dodgers and Clayton Kershaw have agreed on a seven year, $215 million contract, sources have told ESPN. Out after five”

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Re: Clayton Kershaw signs a 7 year 215 million dollars exten

He's baseball's first $30 million man (AAV = $30.7 million)

And by signing "only" a 7-year deal, he's a free agent again at 33, so he's got a chance for one more huge contract.

BourneofDarkness15

Registered Member

Look Kershaw is a hell of a pitcher, but no this contract is way too high, sure he could get another big deal at 31, 32 if there's an opt out clause, but the money is just too high.. I would've gone $170-180

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.

Just read that under modern pitcher usage patterns, Kershaw is now making roughly $1 million per start.

BourneofDarkness15

Registered Member

How scary is that to think about for the Dodgers? If he turns into a bust (not saying he will) that'll be egg on their face.

blpratt1982

He's definitely one of the top 2 or 3 pitchers in the league right now but the contract is too long and for too much money. History has shown that contracts like these usually come back to haunt the teams that sign them. A-Rod and Albert Pujols come to mind. But Kershaw is younger than they were.

BourneofDarkness15

Registered Member

The Pujols contract was crazy as was the Josh Hamilton deal, A-Rod really has earned way more money than he should've. Sure he did great for a while but he's dropped drastically in the past couple of years

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.

I wish I could say I am surprised at how much a 25 year old just got but I am not

Ridiculous

StroShow

The return shall be legenday!
V.I.P.

This will make negotiations tough for other baseball teams. The top salary always sets a standard, and when the Dodgers have it ballooned to this much then the curve on all other pitching salaries has to increase as well. This will be the angle of spin from all agents in negotiations now. 1 salary drives them all up and up.

BourneofDarkness15

Registered Member

Dickey's Flow said:
This will make negotiations tough for other baseball teams. The top salary always sets a standard, and when the Dodgers have it ballooned to this much then the curve on all other pitching salaries has to increase as well. This will be the angle of spin from all agents in negotiations now. 1 salary drives them all up and up.
It's not gonna be long before we see a player get $40 million a year at this rate

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Babe_Ruth Baseball 1
Babe_Ruth Baseball 1
StroShow Baseball 9
Babe_Ruth Baseball 5