• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Citadel considers uniform exception for Muslim

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
The Citadel is considering a request from an admitted student that she be allowed to wear a hijab in keeping with her Muslim faith, a move that would be an unprecedented exception to the school’s longstanding uniform requirements.
The Citadel considers first-ever uniform exception: allowing a Muslim hijab

I think this is bullshit, she should have to follow the existing dress code or not join.

Thoughts?

thealigator

Registered Member
Part of me thinks that this is somewhat being blown out of proportion, if this person is wanting to be a part of this I think this should be applauded and that the request should be allowed, will it really cause major problems? I understand it is a break from tradition but sometimes tradition must be broken for the greater good, this has been proven multiple times, just look at women's rights, that were changed and we should never look back. On the other hand I could be wrong and simpllyfying this to easily but honestly this would not bother me, but then again I am not there so my point of view may be skewed.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Yes it could be allowed but where do you draw the line when it comes to dress codes. From what I understand nowhere in the Koran does it say women have to cover their heads. Many Muslim women don't so I don't see where its necessary.

thealigator

Registered Member
This is a difficult subject for me. On the one hand I really don't think it should not be a major issue. Does it impact her to be able to preform her duties? Will it change the way that people see others in the organisation? Should change never be allowed? One the other hand I can see why people would not want this change, tradition and order is important and to alter that on the whim of one person could be detrimental.

As I said initially this does not affect me directly so my point of view could be seen as mute or irrelevant.

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
Bullshit.

You wear what they tell you or you find another school, end of conversation. If you join the military, you agree to conformity, end of discussion. I don't give a shit what religion or political ideology you are, any army requires conformity to functioning.

They're also just "considering" allowing this, which is basically saying no. They've not made an accommodation like that in their history and it's not going to happen now. America admittedly has a bit of anti-Muslim hysteria, but I also hate this constant "Muslims are victims" shit, they're just the flavor of the week. Soon it will be another group.