Church sends $1,000 collection notice to member.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
They should remember the story of the widow's mite!
That's why Buddhist monks are not allowed to refuse anything given in alms, because what is given might represent a substantial sacrifice for the person giving it, especially so if they are poor.
It's the purity of love giving the donation, not the size of the donation itself, that is important.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Apparently this church thinks its the size of the donation or required fee in their case. In my book a required fee makes them a club not a church and should lose their church status.

If you don't pay it they will remove you from the church rolls. They even require her kids to pay $5 a month each and two annual $15 fees. This is a business. This place, notice I didn't say church, should be investigated.

I think the smart thing to do is not attend that church. Which she said she was.

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
Scientology gets away with charging their members in order to have them rise to higher levels in the church. It's morally wrong IMO. The separation of church and state allows them to continue to dupe parishioners for "membership fees" by claiming it is a part of their religion and necessary for continuance.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I don't think the Church of Scientology should be recognized as a church either. They seem more like the mob to me.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
It just seems weird to me a church kicking you out for being poor. That is basically what they are doing. Doesn't seem to be the Christian thing to do.

smh122

Registered Member
Any person can use something innocent to take advantage of others. In this case, a preacher taking advantage of a person's faith in not only God, but the church and pastor..shame