Church cancels teen gun giveaway

Discussion in 'Politics & Law' started by viLky, Jul 13, 2008.

1. viLky

viLky ykLiv

Yes, you read correctly.

Source / Link: Church Cancels Teen Gun Giveaway - Oklahoma City News Story - KOCO Oklahoma City

I'll quote some of the important parts.

First, I find it disgraceful that they try to lure people down there with any sort of prize. It's God! You should come because of God and Jesus, not because of a prize - especially a gun. :lol:

Trying to TRICK - yes - TRICK people into coming down there isn't the way to go. Wasting $8oo of money that is most likely donated by church goers to buy a gun instead of investing it into something more sound. With it canceled and even with all this attention they're going to do it next year. :\

ysabel likes this.

2. Kazmarov

Kazmarov For a Free Scotland

Sounds like Commandment VI got thrown out of that church a while ago.

3. micfranklin

micfranklin Eviscerator

"Churches" and "guns" cannot be in the same sentence mentioned positively, as it defies the laws of proper grammar.

4. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

And if they don't increase church attendance, what's next? Free grenades?

5. micfranklin

micfranklin Eviscerator

Free rocket launchers? Free tanks? Free star destroyers? Seriously church is just NOT the place to be giving away weapons of any sort, you just don't do that.

6. TimmehD

TimmehD Registered Member

Reading the article it looks as if shooting competitions are very heavily integrated in that area and it' be entirely normal for them to give away a gun. Also, the news article makes it sound as if everyone was going to recieve an automatic rifle to go rape, kill, and maim.

So I honestly don't see the big deal, chances are that anyone who would show up for that would be raised around guns and be taught how to take care of them and how to handle them properly. Also, people don't generally just go to a religious event if they have no interest in religion, especially my generation. There has to be an incentive to lure them in and maybe get them interested. Things change over the course of centuries and what worked then won't work now. Honestly, I don't remember seeing anything in the Bible that says you can't organize events to draw more attention to God. I mean, hell, there's supposed to be 21 hours of preaching!

Last edited: Jul 13, 2008
  7. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

I kind of agree with Timmeh. Guns are highly recreational in that area. The article makes it sound like it's a serial killer training facility... It would make more sense for them to be giving out XBOX 360's or something though. Now at least with a gun I'd hope they are being careful who wins it and that they go through the proper background checks. I do think that a free gun isn't a good idea though given the circumstances. Teens don't need to be getting free guns from church...

And Kaz, "Thou shalt not kill." doesn't mean "Thou shalt not own a gun." ;)

8. lise

lise Registered Member

That's ridiculous! It's also kind of pathetic- and giving guns to teenagers, and by a church, too. They're seriously begging for trouble. Yep, okay, a gun doesn't automatically point to violence and murder, but it's not exactly positive, is it?
    I agree with Hybrix; they should have given out less dangerous prizes which would have been just as much appreciated.
    It's also kind of like saying the church is desperate for more young people to join that they're resorting to bribery [and inappropriate bribery, at that] to get people to come down.

9. R1pperZ

R1pperZ Registered Member

Still the idea of offering a gun.. I guess eternal life Isn't good enough anymore.

If they were offering a good time, fellowship with respectful peers maybe little prizes and raffles that's one thing. But a gun is pretty drastic, makes them sound desperate and manipulative since they backed out of the deal.

ED: It's unload a clip for Jesus day! Come get some.. :lol:

Haha sorry I just couldn't hold that one back.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2008
  10. TimmehD

TimmehD Registered Member

Well, that wouldn't attract me and I'm sure it wouldn't attract most of the people I know.

All churches are desperate now as populations, especially teen populations drop.