• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Christopher Sabat IS DBZ

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
For those of you who don't know who Christopher Sabat is, he is pretty much half of the voices on DBZ. Most of the cool characters too.

Check this out:

Christopher Sabat

And scroll down to the bottom of this page:

Christopher Sabat - Filmography by TV series

He does a TON of voices including Vegeta, Piccolo, Jeice, Burter, Recoome, Mr. Popo, Kami, Zarbon, Ox-King, Yamcha, Turtle, Shenron, Raditz, Porunga, Korin, King Piccolo, Piccolo Jr.

This guy seriously IS DB/Z/GT. If it weren't for him most of the voices would be a ton different.

Vegito728

Registered Member
Yeah, and the thing is you can't tell he does multiple voices. Most of the characters sound different. He's a great VA but all I've heard him in is DB/DBZ/DBGT never anything else. I guess he made his money and ran.

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
According to his IMDB page he's done some other things but seriously I don't know why he isn't doing more voice acting. He's amazing at it considering that for a while I only thought he did Vegeta's voice until I did some more research.

Pugz

Ms. Malone
V.I.P.
OH! He does the FUNimation dub, dude i was gonna snap then cause i know Scott Mcneil did the voice of Piccolo but that was for the Ocean Group dub.

But shit, he does a lot of voices o_O

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
OH! He does the FUNimation dub, dude i was gonna snap then cause i know Scott Mcneil did the voice of Piccolo but that was for the Ocean Group dub.

But shit, he does a lot of voices o_O
Was the Ocean Group dub the original DBZ dub? If so it was never completed and eventually was redone.

Pugz

Ms. Malone
V.I.P.
Following its licensing of Dragon Ball, Funimation Entertainment licensed Dragon Ball Z for an English language release in North America. For Dragon Ball Z, Ocean Group was contracted to produce an English dub track. The dubbed episodes premiered in the United States on WB in September 1996. In May 1998, the broadcast was canceled and Funimation stopped production of the dubbed episodes. Three months later, the series began airing on Cartoon Network as part of the channel's new Toonami programming block. In 1999, Funimation started dubbing the series again, now using their own in-house voice actors and with a new musical score. The series completed its run in April 2003. Later that year, Funimation redubbed the first 67 episodes of the series, restoring the removed content and replacing the Ocean Group dubbing with the same voice cast used in the later episodes. These redubbed episodes were released to Region 1 DVD in uncut box sets, starting in April 2005, and aired on Cartoon Network throughout the summerquote of the same year. The Funimation dubbed episodes also aired in Canada, the United Kingdom, Australia, and the Republic of Ireland.
That's what Wiki says...its all a bit confusing.

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
Ah, that's what I thought. Yeah it was weird when they changed voices but I didn't really mind it. The new voices were similar enough.

Also the later episodes never were dubbed with the Ocean Group voices according to that wiki text. Looks like they stopped dubbing when the show was canceled.

I guess we can thank Cartoon Network for making DBZ popular enough to warrant finishing the dubbing, even though they censored half of the violent scenes. At least an outside company made the dubs though so the DVD's can at least be unedited.

Pugz

Ms. Malone
V.I.P.
According to wiki (this is from Dead Zone) the 97 versions are Ocean Group and the 06 re-release was Funimation.

I'm not sure which version of Tree of Might i have...

Edit: It looks to be for all of them, and my Tree of Might box says 'In Association with Toonami' so that could be the 06 one which is a shitty dub >.<

Last edited: