• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Christmas, X-Mas, or "The Holiday"

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
What do you prefer to use when referring to December 25th?

I have been using the term Christmas all of my life and really have no reason not to. I find it annoying that some schools are telling their students that they aren't allowed to use the word "Christmas" on school grounds.

Sure they can use any other word (really without restriction), but apparently some parents thing using the word "Christmas" is going to convert their kids or something?

It's been Christmas all along and it's not until recently that people have been feeling the need to be "Politically correct".

I just find it annoying that people nitpick things like this.

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
Yeah, it's always been Christmas for me. I really think the word shouldn't have as much to do with Christ as it does referring to a major holiday.

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
yeah the excuse is that we want to be sensitive, but where are these sensitive people? I mean have you ever met anyone who was offended by the word Christmas? I don't think anybody is really offended and I can't figure out why we cater to a population that is apparently really tiny.

Van

Heavy Weapons Guy
V.I.P.
yeah the excuse is that we want to be sensitive, but where are these sensitive people? I mean have you ever met anyone who was offended by the word Christmas? I don't think anybody is really offended and I can't figure out why we cater to a population that is apparently really tiny.
It's the whole problem with us being too "politically correct." Just something that I've noticed, a large portion of the left that is concerned about being politically correct and all that nonsense, seems to be more "anti-Christian than anything else.

Hi_Im_Tim

I am Heavy Weapons Guy
I guarantee you that the amount of cussing in schools is much more offensive than the word "Christmas."

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
I've always called it Christmas and will continue to do so. I don't get why people stress over these things. Banning the word in school is so ridiculous. If you're going to ban "Christmas" you might as well ban everything related to religion.

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
I agree. I also don't see it as a religious "offensive" word either. It's funny though because the same people that don't like the word "Christmas" most likely are saying "Christ" when their team misses a field goal. :D

Psyco

Food Whore
I guarantee you that the amount of cussing in schools is much more offensive than the word "Christmas."
Thats not the point of the argument though. Myself, considering how I'm Catholic, always refer to it as "Christmas". The big argument is that it is "being offensive to those who aren't Christian", and that it is being "ignorant of other people's views."

Its the same bullshit why some public schools won't say the Pledge of Alligence. (that, in my opinion, is unpatriotic. You live in the us, you should be more than damned happy so recite a little poem/pledge)

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
I had a good thread on the pledge going on here:

http://www.generalforum.com/news-politics/usa-pledge-allegiance-schools-13192.html?highlight=pledge

And yeah, I think people just need to learn to be able to deal with not getting offended so easily. There are so many small technicalities that can offend people in everyday life and people just need to get used to it. By making a big deal out of it it's only making things worse I think.

And I don't even care if somebody is religious in any way or what religion the are a part of. The holiday has a name. Are we going to change the name of all holidays with religious ties so they can made friendly for everybody? Hanukkah anybody? I don't know what that word means but am I offended just because it's Jewish? No.