Christmas Dinner

Discussion in 'Food & Beverage' started by DinoFlintstone, Oct 24, 2008.

1. DinoFlintstone

DinoFlintstone "There can be only one!"

If just about all the turkies this year died of avian bird flu, then what would be your ideal alternative to Christmas Dinner, and what would you have with it, i.e drink etc, and who would you have over, and lastly, who would do the cooking?

I'd like Roast Beef, plenty of veg, cooked in various ways. I'd have Irn-Bru and other soft drinks, and some other family member can cook it for me.
    I'd have close family over. Ordinarily I'd have friends, but I don't feel comfortable when my friends speak to my family... they 'tell' eachother things about me. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Oct 24, 2008

2. Blueyes

Blueyes Registered Member

Usually my dinner consists of whatever restaurant is actually still open because I don't have Christmas dinner and thinking back I don't think we ever really had a Christmas dinner either. It was just whatever we felt like eating. Certainly no turkey was made that was only on Thanksgiving.

3. DinoFlintstone

DinoFlintstone "There can be only one!"

Here, the traditional meat of choice would have been a goose, but in more recent times, for many years, it has been turkey. We don't celebrate Thanks Giving here. To come here, you having Thanks Giving is like having two Christmases... ... ...

GIVE US ONE!!!

4. whateverdude_09

whateverdude_09 Registered Member

my grandma and my dad usually focus on Christmas dinner...last year we had horseradish crusted prime rib and turkey and ham and other fixins...im sorry about you guy's loss...you can come over and eat with me sometime. i will whip you up a sweet potato soup that'll blow your mind! but my family likes to cook and eat, and i don't know your situations, but yeah.

AeonFlux likes this.
  5. AeonFlux

AeonFlux I am the edge!

My family has always had ham on Christmas and Swedish meatballs on Christmas Eve. Both meals are served with mashed potatoes & gravy (yummmm) and a large variety of other side dishes. I look forward to the incredible food every year.

I always go to my parents' house and join the rest of my family for Christmas dinner. My parents do most of the cooking, but I help out in whatever way I can.

whateverdude_09 likes this.
  6. AngelsPeak

AngelsPeak Wanna play?

I've never had turkey for Christmas dinner, it's always been a ham. Sometimes we'll have prime rib or lamb (which I don't eat) with it.

7. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

I always cook Christmas dinner. I pick a theme a few days before. Example, in the past two years the theme was Italian (2006) and French (2007). This year however we're visiting family for Christmas in Manila and I'm looking forward to other people cooking for me and worrying about Christmas dinner. Most likely we'll have barbecue and a mix of Chinese/Spanish cuisine.

8. viLky

viLky ykLiv

Tofu.

-_-;

Na, if turkey wasn't an option, I'll take what the OP has and go with roast beef. I love sliced roast beef with mustard between bread. I believe it's called a roast beef sandwich. Yup, I would have roast beef as an alternative choice.

9. AngelsPeak

AngelsPeak Wanna play?

Wait a minute...sliced roast beef, placed between two slices of bread and you think it's called a sandwich? That's just crazy talk.:lol:

Another Christmas favorite are the cheesy potatoes. Mmmmm

10. wolfheart

wolfheart Registered Member

I normally cook the Christmas dinner,we go for a selection of meats,a ham cooked in cider,roast beef,and a small piece of lamb,plus the normal veg and what not.
    I don't think iv had turkey at Christmas for about 7 years,never really liked it that much.