• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Christianity is not a religion.

Timmytrain

Contrary to what we have been taught, Christ never created a religion.

It was religion that killed Christ. It was because of the failure of religion that Christ had to come.

Christ came to reconcile us with God so that we would be able to have a personal relationship, one on one with God. A direct relationship. Not so some ******* on a pulpit or pope to step in between us and God.

Christ came to break the chain of religion from around our necks. Religion is law and law is a chain.

Religion was NOT sent to us to save us.

Religion was sent to condemn us. whereas before religion(or the law) was presented to us we were supposedly ignorant and could not be held accountable. "hey if you give me no rules then im not breaking any!"

Religion was sent to take away that excuse. "So I have to tell you not to kill? Really? Ok, then here are some rules... have at it" Now God knows all along that religion cant save us.

So before we didn’t know and sinned now we KNOW the rules and we still sin. How much worse is that? religion (that some defend so zealously) is like a noose around their necks. you see... merely defending the law is NOT the same as following law. and we all break the law. we all fall short somewhere.

Not to mention religion will always be abused by the elite to control and mislead the masses. you cannot afford to have someone else represent you to your creator.

religion has never and will never work. religion after religion has been sent to no avail. for at best it is God coming down halfway to meet us. but we must rise up halfway to meet him. a teacher is only half the equation. but we refuse to learn. He can write the law but with free will he cant make us abide by them.

at best even if we live perfect lives we would have earned "heaven" as a right. "hey i been good! i followed all the laws, I put in all the effort, I deserve this!" but we can never enter "heaven" with that mentality. because even if we are perfect, heaven is a gift, not a right. At best we played by the rules. But its not like we created or own the game. Nothing will ruin a gift faster than a false sense entitlement. Its not a prize, it’s a gift.

The foundation of a relationship with our God must begin with humility, not haughty self-righteousness. Being worthy comes later, after it has been established who the prize is here, and that’s God, and maybe to a lesser degree us but its God first. Gods the father, we are the offspring. He must lead and we must humble ourselves to follow.

thats why we need salvation. not religion. salvation. we need to be saved. who would attempt to teach a drowning man to swim as he is drowning? no you save him first. and then you teach him how to swim.

There are two components of being saved. One is the actual salvation which is done by faith alone. This is done by bringing yourself to ask God to forgive you and invite him to come into your life. This a purely a free gift. No amount of effort will buy you this first component. By kneeling to the cross, you are acknowledging that it is Him who is saving you, not your “goodness” This is a huge stumbling block to the proud. If you ask him he will not deny you.

Salvation gets you “in” so to speak but there is a second component. Everything after salvation. God will accept you just as you are. Will forgive you no matter what you’ve done, and welcome you to the family. But he will begin to change what you are. He will not let you stay as you are. Always working to better you, and better prepare you for what is to come.

Would you let an obese son or daughter sit at an all you can eat buffet and eat themselves to death? No, if they have that control problem then you would limit their access to food. in the first component works are useless. in this component they are everything.

The more you work to better your free will, to better your decisions and to master your emotions(that is to say not allow your emotions to choose for you, but let morality be the decider) then the more access you will have to “eat” whatever you want in that world. So with his help we must exercise our free will. You may be saved and get in to heaven but you might be sleeping in a barn lol. unless you work.

Now IDK what heaven is or how to liken it to what we have experienced here in the material world but the principles are the same in that the more you work out and eat the bigger and stronger you grow. I believe it’s the same way for the spirit. The spirit eats wisdom and it works out by making tough decisions weighted down by our own desires vs the right decision. Free will is our greatest gift. It is a trait that God owns and has given to us as his children.

But as we can see with all the crazy shit going on in the world its also like a loaded gun. We cant enter into real life with free will unless we can learn to use it responsibly. This world I consider little more that bumper bowling. All this may seem dramatic now but none of it is out of Gods control, for every life lost he can give that person ten more if he so chooses. Its not like we fooled God and hes like “you lil ********! If I would have known what you would do with free will I would have given it to dogs!” no he knew. But he loves us so much that despite what we are capable of he still wants us to have it and learn how to wield it. God aint no indian giver. BTW Its funny that we blame God for all the shit we do to each other.

Freedom is a funny thing. You may think you are free only to learn you are nothing more than a slave. Weed for example. I loved to smoke weed. I always thought of myself as free to smoke it. “legalize weed this” and “don’t trample my rights that”… but in the end I realized im only as free as my capacity to say “no thank you”. You are only free if you can both say yes and no. I couldn’t say no to weed and so I was a slave.

I believe we are all here for 2 reasons. And they don’t involve being a sheep to some major religion. One is to get to know God and Two is to prepare for the hereafter. Both is for OUR benefit.

Don’t get me wrong, im not saying church is evil but its nothing more than a gathering of people. Its like anything else we are exposed to in this world, its like food. You accept and absorb the good parts and shit out the rest. It in no way substitutes for a relationship with God. You cant just separate God from yourself and stuff Him in a building somewhere only to supposedly visit him once a week. The church is in your chest. You carry God everywhere you go. If you do good things, do it with him. Even if you do bad things, do it with him. The relationship is worth more even than your conscience, for even that was created to serve you.

Do not wait to be perfect before you try and get to know God. Don’t tell yourself “ill quit smoking first” or whatever. Who gets well then goes to the doctor? Don’t let sin separate you from His love. All that other shit will be weeded out as a byproduct of knowing him. He is patient and knows your weaknesses so don’t hide, he see you anyway!

Don’t wait until someone can prove God exists to you. God made it so it can never be proven through a third party. He wants you to ask him for yourself.

He has hidden his face. That’s why its by faith. If it was achieved through math and science then only the scientists would get in! what about the rest of us dumb ********! Lol no its by FAITH something we can all afford, smart and dumb, rich and poor.

The one thing I would like anyone still reading this to take away from all this is: Believe it or not God loves us. He loves YOU to no end. And He’s not some alien you must meet for the first time. Once you are reconciled and begin a relationship with Him, you will realize He was there with you throughout your whole life. You will remember instances where He helped you even talked to you. So take heart. And may God Bless you and me both.

Hiei

The Hierophant
I think that's the longest rant that I've ever seen that said that Christianity isn't a religion, but rather that it's THE religion. Maybe I'm taking this all the wrong way, but it seems to me that you've either got your facts wrong, or you're just confused.

First off, here's the dictionary definition of religion:
re·li·gion   [ri-lij-uhn] Show IPA
noun
a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, especially when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs.
a specific fundamental set of beliefs and practices generally agreed upon by a number of persons or sects: the Christian religion; the Buddhist religion.
the body of persons adhering to a particular set of beliefs and practices: a world council of religions.
the life or state of a monk, nun, etc.: to enter religion.
the practice of religious beliefs; ritual observance of faith.
I'd say that that basically sums up what you're talking about. A deity creating us, leading us, and giving us a moral code. And even to say that Christ created the first religion is extremely wrong, and as far as humble as you can get. There have been thousands of religions in the time that man has been on this planet. Many of those religions have the same stories in them. The great deluge, a virgin mother, a messiah that had 12 disciples, even down to the story of the crucifixion. They can all be found in other holy books besides the Bible.

Even if you want to keep it to just being in the Bible, you seem to only be concentrating on the New Testament. Are you aware that the Ten Commandments are in the Old Testament? (Exodus 20: 2 - 17)

Contrary to popular belief, people in ancient history weren't actually retarded. They did have a code of ethics and they were always searching for answers to the eternal questions that man has always had. Where did I come from? Why am I here? What's going on in the sky?

Also, if you believe in the bible, you'd know that religion was never sent to oppress us. Probably the most popular bible quote of all time will show you that your New Testament God is a loving being, and actually WANTS his people to enter his kingdom. John 3:16 says
For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.
God gave his only son, NOT TO CONDEMN US, but rather to SAVE us and if you believe in him, you shall have eternal life in his kingdom. If you believe in that, that is.

Basically, I think this is a long winded rant that could have been thought out better.

Kazmarov

For a Free Scotland
re·li·gion   [ri-lij-uhn] Show IPA
noun
a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, especially when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs.
So...ritual observances ("this is my body...do this in remembrance of me"), moral code ("do unto others as you woud have them do unto you"), governing the conduct of human affairs (Christianity follows quite a lot of Old Testament law, which has over six hundred specific lifestyle demands).

So yeah, that's uh...not true.

KSpiceFantastic

Haters gonna hate.
I agree with Hiei... your rant was long winded, and in some ways a complete u-turn from the topic title.

In it you basically say that Christianity is not a religion, but at the end of the post you said exactly this...

The one thing I would like anyone still reading this to take away from all this is: Believe it or not God loves us. He loves YOU to no end. And He’s not some alien you must meet for the first time. Once you are reconciled and begin a relationship with Him, you will realize He was there with you throughout your whole life. You will remember instances where He helped you even talked to you. So take heart. And may God Bless you and me both.
Doesn't that take away what you put across as what you would argue in this post? I certainly think so.

Despite all of that, I am a Christian. I am religious... and I agree with Hiei's position 100%, and heck... if I was in your situation I would have referenced the Old Testament a little more, too.