Christian rehabs?

kay_whizz

Registered Member
I was just wondering what people thought about christian rehabs in general really. You can be brainwashed into religion the same way you can be into a wide variety of things, this goes without saying although i dont necessarily believe that religion itself is brainwashing. I do however think that the mind of someone who has been on and addicted to drugs for several years reacts quite differently to that of someone who has not, particularly in an environment where the addictive substance is removed.

Probably what i'm really asking is when the majority of people that conquer their addiction and leave the rehab tend to have become religious themselves, how much do you think that is them learning about it and coming to it themselves and how much do you think it is, for lack of a better phrase, a brainwashing factor?

Don't get me wrong, i completely agree with the rehabs themselves. I think that if it helps people through an addiction of any sort then it's worth while. I'm curious though, if you put 10 people without any serious addictions into one of these facilities for a few months, how many in comparrison to those who had an addiction would come out with a change of beliefs?

On a side not, hopefully this made sense and sorry if this is in the wrong place :rolleyes:

ExpectantlyIronic

e̳̳̺͕ͬ̓̑̂ͮͦͣ͒͒h̙ͦ̔͂?̅̂ ̾͗̑
Such rehabs succeed by replacing one addiction with another. Marx was right to refer to religion as "the opiate of the people."

oxyMORON

A Darker Knight
The mind is a powerful thing. I imagine it'd be pretty reasonable for a person to skillfully replace another person's addiction with something promising like religion.

ExpectantlyIronic

The problem is that former alcoholics often turn into religious fanatics, as opposed to your run-of-the-mill religious types. Religious fanaticism can tear families apart just as easily as alcohol can. Trust me, I speak from experience.

Last edited:

Kazmarov

For a Free Scotland
The problem is that former alcoholics often turn into religious fanatics,
It is quite sad to note that addictive behvior manifested in drugs or alcohol is a great detriment to society, but if it switches to or has always been found in the form of religious beliefs, they're simply "devout".

=

I read the Autobiography of Malcolm X earlier this year and he talks about how the Nation of Islam was (legitamately) successful at getting blacks in the urban ghetthos off of drugs. They'd persuade them to try out quitting drugs, then they'd lock them in a room with a bunch of Nation members and they stayed with him or her the whole duration of their withdrawl and recovery. Thus, when the addict got out of their haze, the first new memories they have are of Nation members nursing and caring for them.

It's noble in many manners to, but it's essientally imprinting on the behalf of the addict--the religion becomes like their mother, and something they will follow to the death.

eveningsky339

Registered Member
Such rehabs succeed by replacing one addiction with another. Marx was right to refer to religion as "the opiate of the people."
And yet Marx was wrong about everything else... :-/

I would hesitate to support Christian rehab centers unless the counselors and staff don't have some sort of religious agenda. The main purpose of a rehab center should be to counsel and encourage someone to quit an addiciton. The mind is fragile after a drug addiction and if a counselor at a center is more interested in seeking converts, there could very well be a problem.

That's not to say that anything labelled Christian is bad. There is a Women's Center here that explicitly Christian, but I've never seen any woman who has sought help there "brainwashed" by religion. From what I have seen, I would say that the staff truly want to help women, religion be damned.

The problem is that former alcoholics often turn into religious fanatics, as opposed to your run-of-the-mill religious types. Religious fanaticism can tear families apart just as easily as alcohol can. Trust me, I speak from experience.
People who see Christianity as some sort of replacement for an addiction is truly heart-breaking. The purpose of Christianity is a relationship with Christ.

I know a previous alcoholic who kicked the habit after becoming a Christian. At the peak of his alcoholism, he was putting away 36 beers per diem. Now he's completely clean. He's a great guy and a loving father, but he has a speech impediment and brief moments of sheer confusion thanks to his old habit. Religion is not always an addiction substitute.

ExpectantlyIronic

eveningsky339 said:
What if it's in military time? On a digital clock? Buried in the snow? Under a hippopotamus?
If it's in military time, then it's still right once a day. I already specified that only analog clocks are right twice a day, and an analog clock buried in the snow or under a hippopotamus should still be right twice a day or more if well crafted. :D So there you have it. Though, I think the point of the aphorism may have been lost in all this... :-/

Last edited:

eveningsky339

Registered Member
If it's in military time, then it's still right once a day. I already specified that only analog clocks are right twice a day, and an analog clock buried in the snow or under a hippopotamus should still be right twice a day, but only if well crafted in the later scenario. :D So there you have it. Though, I think the point of the aphorism may have been lost in all this... :-/
Yeah, we've completely careened off track here. :thump: