• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Christian groups sue Kansas schools

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Christian groups filed a pair of lawsuits in Federal District Court challenging the Kansas state Board of Education’s decision to implement a state-wide set of science standards. On June 11, the Kansas state Board of Education adopted a universal set of science standards to be taught in classrooms across the state from kindergarten to grade 12. Faith groups are up in arms that their beliefs are not being given more credence in science classes.

Christian groups sue to stop Kansas schools from adopting science standards | The Raw Story
I don't think their beliefs should be given any credence in science classes. That would be teaching mythology in science. They have this notion that teaching science is promoting a different religious belief. Science has nothing to do with religion.

If they win and do teach religious beliefs in science I bet they wouldn't be okay with them teaching about other religions. Since we have this law that says you can't discriminate if they didn't cover all religions there would be a discrimination suit. I don't think we should go there. If you want your child to learn creationism over evolution then send them to a religious school.

What do you think about this?

Reactions: Sim

JesseCuster

Registered Member
I completely agree with you. Religion goes in religious education classes and science goes in science classes.

Also, religious groups do not get a vote to decide what qualifies as "science". Physicists decide what proper physical things to teach, mathematicians for math and biologists for biology.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I don't see how they get that science has anything to do with religion. I think they are just trying to cause trouble for the school. Surely they don't think science and faith are one in the same. I would really hate to of seen my son taught religion in science class.

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
Religion has no place in public schools when it comes to standards and education. Tax payers are not unanimously one religion, thus one should get not special attention over another.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
I agree with you guys. There is nothing scientific about religion, so I'm not sure what they would even teach. Save religion for religion classes, and keep science classes focused on science.

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
What blows my mind, is that to some people science is treated like religion. To me, that is scary. A lot of time these people show up when this argument of religion in the classroom shows up.

Reactions: Sim

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I think some try to treat science like religion because then they can say religion is science which it isn't. One big difference is that often a scientific theory is proven wrong and changed. This is something that doesn't happen with religion. You don't have to have proof of anything just faith.

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
If these people want their kids to learn about religion then they need to put them in public religion classes offered by their churches. Almost all religions have their own form of "bible study." Catholic schools all require a religion class.

Science and religion are not the same thing and they need to be kept separate in schools.

Sim

Registered Member
I don't think their beliefs should be given any credence in science classes. That would be teaching mythology in science. They have this notion that teaching science is promoting a different religious belief. Science has nothing to do with religion.

If they win and do teach religious beliefs in science I bet they wouldn't be okay with them teaching about other religions. Since we have this law that says you can't discriminate if they didn't cover all religions there would be a discrimination suit. I don't think we should go there. If you want your child to learn creationism over evolution then send them to a religious school.

What do you think about this?
I'd even go further and say teaching religion in science class should be illegal in private schools too. I assume there are binding legal standards for private schools too and they can't just teach what they want. So this should be part of it.

Religious people who confuse science with religion, or even think science is in contradiction to their religion, are not just ignorant, but outright dangerous. There is absolutely nothing that would keep them from teaching that burning witches, heretics or members of other religions is not just fine, but necessary.

If you guys allow that to happen, America will turn into a third world country at the bottom of scientific inventiveness and at the top of small-mindedness in a few generations.

Science is science, and if you think it contradicts your religious believes, you are wrong. You are apparently not understanding religion correctly.

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
I completely agree with you. Religion goes in religious education classes and science goes in science classes.

Also, religious groups do not get a vote to decide what qualifies as "science". Physicists decide what proper physical things to teach, mathematicians for math and biologists for biology.
Really? We don't get to question? We leave it to "experts" to decide curriculum? So only lawyers should decide what is taught at law schools, even though many of them are state funded?

Just to play devil's advocate here, isn't the whole point of education to freely exchange ideas? Since the big bang theory is, well a theory, and can't be proven, shouldn't we give students ALL possible perspectives and let them decide what they believe and don't believe?

Maybe it's just me, but I like to get as much information as possible and explore different ideas and beliefs about things and I think our educational system, which is dismal, would benefit if it did the same for it's students and encouraged them to do so.