• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Religion Christian College Groups Discrimination

dDave

V.I.P.
Here's an odd story I heard about today.

Mobile Site Preview

Seriously?

They welcome non-Christians, atheists, gays, etc. into the group, I totally agree with that. What I really just can't understand is why non-Christians should be allowed to be in group leadership. You can't have a Christian gathering if those in the leadership aren't all Christians. It's not about discriminating against people, it simply doesn't fit the purpose of the group. If you aren't a Christian and want to be in leadership then join a group where that doesn't matter.

Try doing this to a Muslim or Atheist group and I guarantee you the rules would change fast.

Thoughts?

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
Non-mobile link

Firstly let me get it out of the way that I find it humorous how quick many American Christians are to discriminate against people but lose their shit when attitudes that have grown common amongst them begin to affect them.

Mini-rant aside, I don't see what the point is by messing with these groups unless they are actively discriminating which it doesn't seem like they are. I think people are simply afraid of offending each other and this is just another casualty.
http://www.thenewamerican.com/culture/faith-and-morals/item/18581-maine-s-bowdoin-college-ousts-christian-group-for-discrimination

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
The college is running scared. Still I don't see why Christian groups should have to allow non Christians in leadership positions as long as they don't shut them out of joining the group. The only group that seems to have a real problem with this is the conservative evangelical groups.

The comment at the bottom of Merc's link brings up a interesting question. Will race based groups be forced to allow other races in their groups in leadership positions? Bet not.

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
I don't really see why people do things like this. I've never been a member of a group whose mission I didn't agree with. While in college I didn't belong to an atheist group, I didn't belong to "Young Democrats", I didn't belong to "College Nursing Students" since I wasn't a nursing student, it seems so pointless to me. I believe in freedom of expression and every group should be free to meet and advance their agenda, but why belong to a Christian group if you aren't a Christian?

When I was in high school I belonged to CFCA. Why? Because I was a Christian athlete. I was also an officer with CYO. Why? Because I am Catholic. It's illogical to me to do this and the only impetus I can think of is to get a bunch of people to join and run for leadership positions to try and destroy the group.

dDave

V.I.P.
I don't really see why people do things like this. I've never been a member of a group whose mission I didn't agree with. While in college I didn't belong to an atheist group, I didn't belong to "Young Democrats", I didn't belong to "College Nursing Students" since I wasn't a nursing student, it seems so pointless to me. I believe in freedom of expression and every group should be free to meet and advance their agenda, but why belong to a Christian group if you aren't a Christian?

When I was in high school I belonged to CFCA. Why? Because I was a Christian athlete. I was also an officer with CYO. Why? Because I am Catholic. It's illogical to me to do this and the only impetus I can think of is to get a bunch of people to join and run for leadership positions to try and destroy the group.
Exactly. They don't like the group (or other similar groups) and they want to bring it down under the guise of discriminatory policies.

It really would be like a Christian going to an atheist group and getting into the leadership to influence Christianity in the group. Would a member of the atheist group be upset about this? You can be confident in answering "yes".

Can we have some equality here?

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
Can we have some equality here?
Actually that's the problem here, Dave. People think that groups being selective in their membership is not equal enough. This is equality going overboard.

Mickiel

Registered Member
Just more Christian egotism. When a group of humans, of any religion, thinks themselves the appointed of God, its just no telling how egotistic they will be; anything or situation could be an affront to them; because they are highly influenced by super selfishness; they think they are the " Ones." The only ones. When a group of humans think like this, they are now outside of reason.

They have become gods to themselves.

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
Just more Christian egotism. When a group of humans, of any religion, thinks themselves the appointed of God, its just no telling how egotistic they will be; anything or situation could be an affront to them; because they are highly influenced by super selfishness; they think they are the " Ones." The only ones. When a group of humans think like this, they are now outside of reason.

They have become gods to themselves.
This makes absolutely no sense. They are a Christian group. They want Christians in leadership roles in those groups. It's obvious these people are infiltrating these groups to show they are discriminating somehow. How this translates to egotism is beyond anything that even remotely resembles reason or sense.

Mickiel

Registered Member
This makes absolutely no sense. They are a Christian group. They want Christians in leadership roles in those groups. It's obvious these people are infiltrating these groups to show they are discriminating somehow. How this translates to egotism is beyond anything that even remotely resembles reason or sense.

In my view, Christianity has infiltrated this world more than any religion in history. Now the infiltrator does not want to be infiltrated! I will not grieve. I understand the true ego behind this. Christianity got on top by infiltrating; the ego of thinking yourself the anointed of God. And the world agreed with them for awhile. Now the top dog, is getting dogged, and they don't like it. Simular to men being so dominant over women for so long, and they do not want to give that up; and religion helped that egotism in humanity.

And this dynamic is so deep, that you are completely blind to its egotism.
------
Christianity IS the prime example of discrimination in this world. A strong statement, but I think very true. Its no accident that Christianity was given a dominant role in human history, and Roman paganism was chosen to lift that role. Its the true motive of God here at play. Here God creates a world and humans, he then creates a knowledge to give humans that he knows will determine how they think and live; the tree of the knowledge of good and evil. That mixture right there, determined ALL of our history!

We were set up to fail. No doubt about it.

God created the NEED for Christ to come.

It was God who did this! Human history is simply the unfolding of his will.

He sent Jesus to be killed, knowing the church he established would be infiltrated by satan. That church, was infiltrated soon after Jesus left; and God did absolutely nothing to stop that. Just as he did nothing to prevent satan from entering the garden of Eden.

Again God doing nothing, is really him doing something with eternal ramifications on our reality. A broken world of discrimination is really God's incubator to mold his children inside of.

And the whole world of humanity is his; but religion has been conditioned to change that, and teach that only certain groups are his.

All that we think and reason is affected by this.

Last edited:

dDave

V.I.P.
In my view, Christianity has infiltrated this world more than any religion in history. Now the infiltrator does not want to be infiltrated! I will not grieve. I understand the true ego behind this. Christianity got on top by infiltrating; the ego of thinking yourself the anointed of God. And the world agreed with them for awhile. Now the top dog, is getting dogged, and they don't like it. Simular to men being so dominant over women for so long, and they do not want to give that up; and religion helped that egotism in humanity.

And this dynamic is so deep, that you are completely blind to its egotism.
------
Christianity IS the prime example of discrimination in this world. A strong statement, but I think very true. Its no accident that Christianity was given a dominant role in human history, and Roman paganism was chosen to lift that role. Its the true motive of God here at play. Here God creates a world and humans, he then creates a knowledge to give humans that he knows will determine how they think and live; the tree of the knowledge of good and evil. That mixture right there, determined ALL of our history!

We were set up to fail. No doubt about it.

God created the NEED for Christ to come.

It was God who did this! Human history is simply the unfolding of his will.

He sent Jesus to be killed, knowing the church he established would be infiltrated by satan. That church, was infiltrated soon after Jesus left; and God did absolutely nothing to stop that. Just as he did nothing to prevent satan from entering the garden of Eden.

Again God doing nothing, is really him doing something with eternal ramifications on our reality. A broken world of discrimination is really God's incubator to mold his children inside of.

And the whole world of humanity is his; but religion has been conditioned to change that, and teach that only certain groups are his.

All that we think and reason is affected by this.
So basically your argument is that we're blind and thus everything we say is simply wrong by default... :rolleyes:

I think you have a really pessimistic view of God, the Church, and Christianity in general. It would appear that your belief is based on determinism which if we are to take the Bible for the truth that many of us believe it to be then that viewpoint is wrong. (truth is not always relative to the individual, sometimes there's simply correct and incorrect, make a new thread on that if you want to discuss that point)

What I'm getting from this thread is this...

"Christianity did X bad thing in the past so now they're getting payback by having everyone else do Y bad thing to them. But all Christians now are blind to the truth but that's ok because they are getting what they had coming to them."

^Am I the only one that sees that?

Yeah. Ok, I get it, Christians have done some really bad things in the past, and yes we the church as a whole are far from perfect, but at least many of us strive to be more like Christ. I'm not talking about everyone that wears the title "Christian" but rather those that really believe that Jesus died for us and whose lives are in fact defined by it, that's who I'm talking about.

I'm not getting this egocentrism, if anything I think most of the Christians I know are very humble people. There's nothing egocentric in thinking your personal beliefs are right, in fact, that applies to every person on the planet.

I could pull theology directly from the Bible but I'm betting that since the canonical Bible was established by the council of Nicaea (a Christian council) that there's no point.

Last edited: