Movies Christian Bale - Is He Over Rated?

Discussion in 'Movies & TV' started by Altanzitarron, Jun 19, 2009.

1. Altanzitarron

Altanzitarron Tamer Of The LOLzilla

This quote that I read in the Terminator Salvation thread echoed some thoughts that my friends and I have also been having. Christian Bale is certainly not struggeling to find roles in films these days, he starred in 2 franchise blockbusters in 2 years. As a child star who actually managed to hold onto his fame he actually has made quite the name for himself but is anyone else starting to feel that maybe he's over rated?

I've always liked American Psycho, I really can't fault his performance as the sociopathic Patrick Batemen. Rescue Dawn, The Prestige and to a lesser extent The Machinist also jump to mind when considering his good performances but it seems that the film that has really elevated his status was Batman Begins.

Bale was lucky in a sense because his particular Batman story was being handled by the very talented directer Christopher Nolan however it was not just the writing and direction that seemed a cut above the previous bat-flicks. For once Batman actually seemed like he could physically do all the things he is supposed to be doing. His struggle was believable and Begins did not fall prey to the mistake that most of it's predecessors made by focusing too much on the villain.

Add a highly sucessful sequel to that and you've got a very desirable leading man for your films. The Dark knight can quite easily be argued as the best ever Bat-flick but the more I think about Bale's performance the more I'm unimpressed by it. It's no question that Heath Ledger out shone him in that film but I also feel that Aaron Eckheart beat him in his own franchise too. In a film with 3 leading characters I feel Bale gave the worst performance and it's supposed to be his film. Don't get me wrong "worst" is comparitive, I don't think he was awful by any stretch of the imagination.

From the reviews I've read of Terminator Salvation it sounds like he's given another performance of just shouting whenever he can. Not to mention his tantrum on set that got publicised. I can understand that emotions can run high under pressure but his behaviour does seem rather childish.
    YouTube - christian bale rant

So what do you guys think? Is he over rated or can't you get enough of Bale goodness?

And just for fun here's the techno remix of his rant :lol:
    YouTube - Bale Out - RevoLucian's Christian Bale Remix!

Last edited: Jun 19, 2009

2. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

Personally i think he's a good actor, I wouldn't call him a great actor and wouldn't put him in the top tier of actors. But he's done some great work like American Physcho or Batman. I didn't really like him in Terminator Salvation, but for the most part he does a good job in the acting department in his movies.

3. Wade8813

Wade8813 Registered Member

I'd say he's a really good actor when you give him an intense roll, other than that, I'm not sure. My thoughts when I first saw Batman Begins were "Bale is THE definitive Batman." The Dark Knight was a better movie, but I did feel Bale was a little bit worse than in Batman Begins (a little less than Eckhart, definitely worse than Ledger - but then I'd say Ledger's acting was among the best I've seen, so that doesn't mean a whole lot). He was quite good in The Prestige, another intense roll. He was good in Empire of the Sun, which was a less intense roll, but he still shone mostly because of the intensity. I haven't seen The Machinist, American Psyhco, or Term:Sal yet, but I'd say if nothing else, he gets points for dedication for actually starving himself for The Machinist.

Really, his rant has nothing to do with his acting ability, and whether he's overrated or not. It might say a lot about his personal character, but that's another subject.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2009
  4. CaptainObvious

CaptainObvious Son of Liberty V.I.P.

I think he's a really good actor, although I wasn't crazy about his voice as Batman. His behavior may be childish, but I agree, that has nothing to do with his acting ability.

5. Bliss

Bliss Sally Twit

I think he's a very talented actor and deserves a lot of recognition. After Batman he became popular again so he should have his fame and enjoy it. Obviously he can be a dick but as already said, it has nothing to do with his acting ability. He is there to entertain us on the big screen and so long as he is doing that then there's no problem.

6. Altanzitarron

I feel like I should point out that I wasn't trying to state there's a connection between the rant and his talent. I was more trying to explore whther or not he's perhaps gotten too big for his boots. I do think his ego must be pretty big and that's slightly more acceptable if his work backs it up. I'm on the fence with this, yes I think he's a competent actor and has been a part of more than a few of my favourite films, I just don't think he's amazing... not these days anyway.

7. wolfheart

wolfheart Registered Member

I am on the fence with him, he has done some very good films, the 2 Batman movies, American psycho and the other's that have been mentioned, and he is very competent in roles that are of the heavier style.

However I would like to see him take on some lighter roles to see if he could pull them off, a comedy maybe to see if he do more than just the serious role.

8. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

I've never really had any issue with him. I liked him in Batman and also in the new Terminator movie. I think he's best as Bruce Wayne though. The character is more developed than some of his other stuff. Now, I've only seen him in 3 or 4 things but still. I also saw 3:10 to Yuma and thought he was pretty good in that too.

9. Wade8813

Wade8813 Registered Member

So you kind of asked two (very related) questions - whether the general public overrates him, and whether he overrates himself.

I'm not sure if he does overrate himself. Ego was quite possibly involved in that rant, or it might have just been a rage issue. Some websites I've seen indicated it might have been (somewhat) justified. Or it might be any combination of the above.

It seems interesting to me that he has all of these rolls that are different, yet so similar. Do you guys think he's been typecast? Are these just the rolls he takes? When I think of actors who've been typecast, he doesn't spring to mind.

Do you think an actor being typecast has a significant effect on if they're overrated?

Last edited: Jun 20, 2009
  10. Altanzitarron

I'd say there's a definitive link. I've always distinguished the difference between a good actor and an actor who is good at what he / she does. Acting should be all about versatility but because the film industry is a buisiness it often forces people to reprise the same types of roles just to avoid challenging the general publics fear of change.

Christian Bale is good at what he does but you pretty much know what you're gonna get from him in a film. With that said I will give a nod to his performance in the machinist because that one doesn't quite fit with the others I've seen.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2009