• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Chris Gayle fined over 'sexism' row

thealigator

Registered Member
Source: BBC

"Chris Gayle fined in Big Bash League reporter 'sexism' row

West Indies cricketer Chris Gayle has been fined A$10,000 ($7,200; £4,900) for "inappropriate conduct" after he asked a TV reporter on a date in a live interview. Gayle was speaking to journalist Mel McLaughlin during a Big Bash League match in Hobart on Monday. "To see your eyes for the first time is nice. Hopefully we can have a drink afterwards. Don't blush baby," he said. Gayle has said he is sorry, but that the reaction was "out of proportion"."

I am unsure of this is sexism and if it is appropriate. It may have been a joke or Gayle may have been serious. I am not one for chat up lines, I can't recall ever trying a chat up line with either a man or a woman so am unsure if they work. But none the less do you think he crossed a line? Do you feel what he said was sexist and this is the correct action or do you feel it was something he should never have done?

In a way I think the main problem is he did in front of a camera for the world to see, had it done it away from the camera it may have been quite different but this may be me over simplifying it. What is your take on it? Was he in the wrong?