Chopsticks

Can You Use Chopsticks?

• Total voters

Chaos

Epic Gamer
V.I.P.
So, can you use them? And if so, how often do you use them?

I was surprised by the amount of people I know who can't seem to get to grips with chopsticks. They just can't seem to get their heads (or their hands :lol:) around how to hold them.

I can use them pretty easily. Took me a little while to learn how to do it (many, many moons ago), but I did it. I bought some from the Chinese takeaway next door to my bar, and I use them every time I go there. It's fun, but sometimes the last few grains of rice are pretty irritating to get at. It's a lot easier when you have the rice in bigger clumps.

Nightsurfer

~Lucky 13 strikes again~
I can use them. I have been able to use them since the third grade. I taught myself how to use. I use them any time we have Chinese food or when ever I am in the mood to mess around while I am eating.

I have 2 pair of chopsticks. One is a stainless Steele set and the other is Redish Black coral with silver tips.

Impact

Registered Member
V.I.P.
I cannot for the life of me use chopsticks correctly. I can use them to stab people, umm I mean my food, but that's about as advanced as I get with them .

PretzelCorps

Registered Member
So, can you use them?
I elect to use them every chance I get; in many ways, I prefer them to a fork and knife.

1. They're fun.
  2. You never, ever know when your entire life is going to depend on some absolutely random skill --> "You there! Eat some food with these chopsticks, or I'll kill you dead!" Sure, the odds are slim, but would you really bet your life on it?

Oooh_snap

Living on the 0th floor
V.I.P.
I can use chopsticks with ease. I guess from years of eating sushi and various Japanese dishes I have just gotten used to it. Most of the restaurants we go to do not set any silverware down with you just chopsticks and I never wanted to ask for a fork or what not, so I got it down really fast =)

Wade8813

Registered Member
Being 1/2 Chinese, I felt obligated to learn how to use chopsticks as a kid. Nobody was pressuring me or anything, but I just felt like it was something I should do.

I elect to use them every chance I get; in many ways, I prefer them to a fork and knife.

1. They're fun.
  2. You never, ever know when your entire life is going to depend on some absolutely random skill --> "You there! Eat some food with these chopsticks, or I'll kill you dead!" Sure, the odds are slim, but would you really bet your life on it?
Yes, I really am willing to make that bet (although I can use chopsticks, so it's kind of moot :lol:).

I can't use chopsticks either. The rice just wouldn't stay between the tips. I relented and grabbed a fork.
From what I've heard, in Chinese culture, if you're using chopsticks, it's actually considered good manners to eat rice by picking up the bowl, and just shoveling it into your mouth. Of course, it doesn't work if you have a large plate and not a bowl. And good manners can be awkward if others don't know that it's good manners... :rolleyes:

Last edited:

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
I am really not good with chopsticks. I am always eating my food with a fork.
Not sure if it happens to you but since I look Chinese, people assume I know how to use chopsticks and they're surprised in the restaurants when I ask for a fork. :lol:

Bliss

Sally Twit
I can't use them, but then I don't eat a lot of rice. I don't have the patience to try and learn how to use them to be honest. I do think it's nice when people use them in restaurants, but I'd much rather use a fork.