Chopping onions

Discussion in 'Food & Beverage' started by RATTIE, Nov 25, 2008.

?

Can you chop onions without crying?

1. Yes

61.9%
  2. No

38.1%
  1. RATTIE

RATTIE Registered Member

Can you chop onions?
    I can't even be in the same building or my eyes stream and sting for hours afterwards. :cry:
    I've tried all the old wives tales and none of them work.

Can you chop onions without crying?
    If you can't have you discovered anything that works even just a little bit?

2. DinoFlintstone

DinoFlintstone "There can be only one!"

It's a strange question for 06:00 lol

Yes, I can chop onions without crying. One tip is to cut them under water, and if you can, wear rubber gloves to stop the smell penetrating your skin and stinking for ages.

3. RATTIE

RATTIE Registered Member

Ha ha, that's the only thing I've found that works but I didn't want to put it here in case someone chopped their fingers off. :lol:
    Even that has a time limit for me though and the slipperyness and displacement makes it dodgy at the best of times.

(Think I started this thread cos I keep reading the rice thread and it makes me hungry. :drool: )

4. Kazmarov

Kazmarov For a Free Scotland

Freezing them briefly works well. Not enough for it to mess with the dish at hand, just enough to stem the flowing of stench.

RATTIE likes this.
  5. DinoFlintstone

Once I had an onion and an english man, and I was trying to figure out the difference, and I noticed that it was that I cry when I cut an onion.

joke.

Or is it?
    Mwahahahaaa.

I guess you could invest in a pair of safety goggles to use when doing such things. Another thing I've heard and tested was that rubbing salt on your hands before and after chopping an onion helps aborb the smell before it gets into your skin... it never worked, but a few people have sworn by it, so maybe it does work for some people.

6. RATTIE

RATTIE Registered Member

Safety goggles are usually vented so I tried swimming goggles! :lol:
    Didn't work. :shake:
    Gave everyone a laugh though.

I had noticed that when my other half chops onions he doesn't smell of them at all.
    If I do it I can wash my hands a million times and I can STILL smell it, even after a shower.
    Strange! :shifteyes:

7. DinoFlintstone

Not all goggles are vented, and even the ones with vents should be safe. I guess you could boy something like a V Slicer.

8. Bliss

Bliss Sally Twit

My eyes start streaming if onions are being fried, let alone cut.

If I've ever had to cut one I've put it under the cold tap first and then chopped it. I never got too far.

9. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

Yep I can. I cut them cold or with a super knife! :hah: The faster it's done, the shorter the period of misery.

I've heard of other tips like wearing contact lenses (apparently those who do never cry when cutting onions, lol), cutting under water, not cutting the roots, cut next to open flame to absorb the teary gas, etc.

Oh there was one time it really hurt my eyes so bad I cried then laughed at myself, then still couldn't stop the tears: basically spent some minutes looking like a crazed woman holding a knife! psycho!

Boredie and RATTIE like this.
  10. icegoat63

icegoat63 Son of Liberty V.I.P. Lifetime

I cant really say onions bug me so much. I've done my fair share of chopping all kinds without really getting hit hard.

Every once in a while I'll get an onion that is a persistent sucker, it'll squeeze a tear out of me. But thats not all that often.