Choking

Discussion in 'Sports' started by redsoxocd, Feb 23, 2008.

?

Can it be considered a "choke"?

1. yes

2 vote(s)
    40.0%
  2. no

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. depends on the team

3 vote(s)
    60.0%
  1. redsoxocd

redsoxocd living on the border

I was thinking about this the other day:

When a team that statisically should win, loses do you consider it a choke, or do you just think that the other team must have been better? Also what games do you think can be labled as some of the biggest chokes of all time?

2. oxyMORON

oxyMORON A Darker Knight

The only thing I consider a choke is when the statistically better team gives up a substantial lead, like a 4-1 lead in hockey, 20+ lead in basketball, 3+ touchdown lead, or missing a routine groundball, etc. etc. on a big stage, not a regular season game.

Stats are important, but there's so much more that goes into a game than numbers, so I don't think that's a good way to call a choke.

3. Major

Major 4 legs good 2 legs bad V.I.P.

I think there's several different kinds of choking.

It could be a heavily favored team that loses a big game or playoff series, like Dallas losing to Golden State in the first round last year. Or West Virginia losing to Pitt in the last regular season game of the college football season last year. They were something like 30 point favorites and a win would have put them in the national championship game.

Or it could be a team giving up a huge lead late in a game or in a playoff series. Doesn't even matter which team is statistically better. Examples of this are the Yankees blowing a 3 games to 0 lead over the Red Sox in the ALCS a few years back. Or Jean Van de Velde blowing a three shot lead on the final hole of the '99 British Open.

4. NewGamePlus

NewGamePlus Registered Member

I voted depends because it depends on a variety of factors, not merely the team. Statistics aren't even good either because it's more about the way a team plays going into the choke as well as other relevant times that reveal their potential to win.

5. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

I personally think that a team choking is when they always have one of the best records in the league, and then people say that their going to win the big championship at the end of the year, but they always lose in the finals, or conference finals. I'll use a hockey example. For the last few seasons, the Ottawa Senators have been one of the best teams in the league, and hockey analyst always say this is their year, their going to win it all this season, but always lose in the playoffs. I believe that's choking.

It's not when a team that is 8-20 beating a team that is 24-4, that's not choking that's just a bad game, everyone has those from time to time.

6. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

Until they have several bad games in a row, now they're choking!

To me, choking means one of a few scenarios:

1. Blowing a big game a team was expected to win
    Statistics aren't guarantees, but when the statistics, sports writers, sportscasters, and sports analysts have a resounding choice for victor and that team loses, I'd say it's a choke. Example: The Patriots in the last Superbowl. They let the Giants win and didn't play the football they had been playing all year.

2. Blowing a big lead
    2004 Yankees. Explains it all.

7. padd

padd Registered Member

1. i agree
    2. their big problem was goaltending
    3. if they didn't joke all those years they'd be a hockey dynasty, think about it.