Chivalry

Impact

Registered Member
V.I.P.
A two-part question depending on your gender

Guys: Do you open doors for girls (or any body for that matter), pull their chair out when they go to sit down, take their jacket, or any other kind gesture? Or do you not bother because some ladies find it offensive?

Girls: Are you offended by above gestures or do you not mind?

Personally, I love it when a guy does any of the above for me. Sure, I can do it myself, but it's a good change to find a guy willing to. IMO shows a true gentleman, and they seem to be few and far between.

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
Yes, I do all those things for girls and for the elderly. I also hold elevators open for people, except for this one guy in my building, he's a real douche.

Wade8813

Registered Member
I was just thinking of posting something like this yesterday, but then I forgot about it.

My general policy is to be polite and helpful to everyone. I won't generally go way out of my way to help someone unless I know them, or they really need it. I also won't usually help someone if they can do it just as easily without my help.

PretzelCorps

Registered Member
A two-part question depending on your gender

Guys: Do you open doors for girls (or any body for that matter), pull their chair out when they go to sit down, take their jacket, or any other kind gesture?
Yes, if the atmosphere is appropriate.

Or do you not bother because some ladies find it offensive?
Offense? Anyone that takes offense to me holding a door for them deserves a bitch-slap. And a job in construction.

Seriously, the whole "womyn" thing goes way too far sometimes (most of the time).

Bliss

Sally Twit
I like it when a man holds the door for me but pulling out my chair and taking my coat would be a little too much. I wouldn't mind my boyfriend doing those things though.
I don't think I'd be offended if a man did said things but I would be embarrassed and feel like I was royalty or something.

Bananas

Endangered Species
Guys: Do you open doors for girls (or any body for that matter), pull their chair out when they go to sit down, take their jacket, or any other kind gesture? Or do you not bother because some ladies find it offensive?
I open doors for girls, I also open doors for guys sometimes. I dont thin kdoor opening is anything out of the ordinary. As for chair pulling, I find that a little unusual and would not do it, mainly because it is a bit directional "you are going to sit here!".

If a girl finds any of my actions offensive then she clearly can not appreciate politeness and I am sure she would be equally offended if I slam the door in her face.

Wouldn't offend me, I'd think it was sweet. Like Bananas said though, the chair thing is a little unnecessary. I always hold the door open for the person behind me, I think that's just being polite regardless of gender.

AnitaKnapp

It's not me, it's you.
V.I.P.
It wouldn't offend me at all, and I sort of expect the behavior now. I work with an older crowd her, and they're always holding doors open and insisting that I walk through them first...even at the elevators. Then I went on vacation with some friends, and one of the guys walked onto the elevator first and I was thinking...how rude! lol I've gotten too used to it.

Chaos

Epic Gamer
V.I.P.
I typically hold doors open for most people, male or female, within reason. If they're 20 foot behind me, I'm not gonna stand there for 5 minutes while they plod along at a snails pace.

When I was in college I would do it but only if the coast was clear. In the cafeteria you could get stuck at that friggin' door for ages because of the amount of people going in and out. In those cases it's every man, woman and dwarf for themselves, I ain't no doorman.

For a lady friend though, of course I'd hold the door open. But I don't think I'd pull out the chair because it doesn't seem like natural behaviour to me. :dunno: Other than that, chivalry FTW.