• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

China's ghost cities [photos and video]

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
And Now Presenting: Amazing Satellite Images Of The Ghost Cities Of China

Amazing stuff. China has built incredible cities with the idea that people will flock into them, but that has not happened and so there are entire cities sitting vacant.

There also was a report from Dateline where the reporter walked around one of the cities and went to what is supposed to be one of the largest malls in the world: YouTube - China's Ghost Cities and Malls

Another report from Business Insider: There Are Now Enough Vacant Properties In China To House Over Half Of America Enough vacant housing to house over HALF of the American population!

Wonder if China would sell a city to the Atlas Shrugged foundation?

Zenheizer

needs practice
That video was eye opening. I've never seen anything like it, why build when you can't fill?

Great find!

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
How fun would it be to take a Camaro SS to an empty city like that? It could also be a fantastic location to shoot movies.

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
More images from China's ghost cities: Satellite Pictures Of Chinese Ghost Cities
China plans to build 20 cities a year for the next 20 years. The unacknowledged problem is finding buyers for those hundreds of millions of new homes.
wow.

Generally I think people should do what ever they want with their money including governments. But this does raise a question of China wasting and driving the prices of resources that's concerning.
I also wonder just what the heck the plan is for all of these cities?