• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

China's dog meat festival

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Reuters said:
For many residents of China's southern town of Yulin, the peak of summer is the perfect time to get together with family and friends - and consume copious amounts of dog meat.

Thousands of dogs are expected to end up on the chopping block during the city's annual dog meat festival, which has become increasingly controversial in China.
China's dog meat festival raises hackles of fans and opponents

I eat cow, pig, chicken, fish and sometimes wild game but I can't imagine eating a dog, cat or horse. I guess meat is meat and something has to die in order to be able to consume it but I can't imagine eating a dog. To me they are really close to being people, more so than even a horse or cat, two animals I also love.

I hope the activists get this stopped but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Would you eat a dog? Thoughts?

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
Kind of like what you already said Hilander, I find it very rich for anyone who eats chickem pigs, cows etc to get angry about another country eating dog.

Just because in our culture dogs are treated differently doesn't mean that they are everywhere.

Every single day I'm shocked that people eat pigs. Pigs are loving, compassionate, and clean creatures. They are social, and intelligent. The average pig can be taught tricks, is smarter than many breeds of dog that we keep as pets. It's even been proven that pigs are as intelligent as an average 3 year old child.

So if we eat pigs, how can we judge them for eating dogs?

Of course I eat neither, and both industries sadden me. But I am finding it funny seeing how many meat-lovers who eat basically any animal are getting angry and judging another country for eating dogs.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Actually its people in China getting upset about this. As more Chinese become middle class they are keeping dogs for pets and are turning against this.

A Chinese lady went around buying these dogs to save them from being eaten in this festival. Last year she spent over $24,000 on dogs.

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
I know people in China are upset about it as well. In the same way that groups of people in Western countries protest against the factory farms in our countries. I still see the irony in how many meat eaters are getting angry about this. Just because in history we chose to domesticate one animal over another. It's interesting how humans only care about the animals they deem worthy, but are so quick to turn a blind eye to all the rest.

Stego

Registered Member
There's an interesting book called, "Some We Love, Some We Hate, Some We Eat."

I don't agree with that book totally, but I think think even the title decently sums up how we have a hard time thinking straight about non-human animals.

In short, there's a difference between killing and murder, survival and torture. As well, the foundation of morality (in Peter Singer's theory) can be squarely set on sentience. We know animals feel pain. We know how to develop better agriculture. Interchanging any other animal, it would be cruel both theoretically and emotionally. I think it's just that dogs have been domesticated over thousands of years and are so fit to be companions with us and us with them that it makes this issue all the more heart-wrenching.

=(

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I think you hit the nail on the head Stego. We have a special relationship with dogs that we don't have with most animals and that makes it worse. Some people are so close to their dogs they think of them as family.

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
What frustrates me is that special relationship is there because in history, we chose it to be there. We domesticated dogs. We could have easily domesticated pigs, or sheep, but we chose dogs. And now because of this people are so happy to turn a blind eye to mass abuse and suffering of animals very similar to dogs every single day, but because these other animals aren't the "special chosen ones" we don't care, and just look the other way. It really highlights just how messed up humans are. Whats happening to the dogs in China is terrible, but in terms of scale, and abuse, it's nothing compared to what happens to millions of animals every single day in factory farms in our own backyard.

It's very easy to feel good about caring for some animals while completely ignoring what happens to others isn't it? Willful ignorance is a powerful tool for the food industries.