China still getting Foreign Aid?

icegoat63

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
What do you think about this, I thought it was fairly interesting really. One of those; "was this a lapse of judgement? a switch we forgot to turn off?"

I'm going to hack this article up a bit, here is the link to the original; Associated Press: China Rises and Rises, Yet still gets foreign Aid

BEIJING – China spent tens of billions of dollars on a dazzling 2008 Olympics. It has sent astronauts into space. It recently became the world's second largest economy. Yet it gets more than $2.5 billion a year in foreign government aid
So the Worlds Second Largest Economy still has its hand out asking for Foreign aide? What the hell is up with that? It must not be as bad as we think right? I wonder how much that compares to other countries that recieve foreign aide? :hmm:

Aid to China from individual donor countries averaged $2.6 billion a year in 2007-2008, according to the latest figures available from the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development.

Ethiopia, where average incomes are 10 times smaller, got $1.6 billion, although measured against a population of 1.3 billion, China's share of foreign aid is still smaller than most. Iraq got $9.462 billion and Afghanistan $3.475 billion.
Now mind you, aide to China per this article appears to be diminishing after this year. But yet China still claims it needs the money.....

China is also one of the biggest borrowers from the World Bank, taking out about $1.5 billion a year.

Asked why China still needed foreign aid after making so much economic progress, the Commerce Ministry said that China remains a developing country with 200 million poor and big environmental and energy challenges.

The current debate spotlights the challenges of addressing poverty in middle-income countries such as China, India and Brazil, where economic growth is strong but wealth is unequally spread. After the U.S., China has the world's most billionaires, yet incomes averaged just $3,600 last year.
but what are they developing? what are they growing? Oh wait... thats right the worlds largest Military....

Experts say it's hard to justify giving aid to China when it spent an estimated $100 billion last year equipping and training the world's largest army and also holds $2.5 trillion in foreign reserves.

"China's made a strategic choice to invest in building its military and acquiring these massive reserves, but at the same time it's underfunding social services, so I think it's going to be harder and harder for donor nations to continue to fund projects in China," said Thompson.

Japan's generosity has historically been driven at least in part by a desire to make amends for its invasion of China in the 1930s. But in recent years Japanese lawmakers and officials have repeatedly questioned whether the money flow should continue, pointing to China's emergence as a donor to African countries.

China provided around $1.4 billion in aid to Africa last year, according to Professor Deborah Brautigam, an expert on China-Africa relations at the American University in Washington, D.C.

I realize theres alot to stomach here. But the big point is, China has become the Worlds second largest economy.... why are they still getting foreign Aid? That seems like a bully situation, The Second biggest kid on the block is getting paid to keep growing by the other Six big ones?

Do you believe China should be receiving Aid or should these foreign monies be going to other countries that are obviously more in need than the 2nd largest economy in the world?