• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Children under 10 issued shotguns, BBC learns

sunrise

aka ginger warlock
V.I.P.
BBC News - Children under 10 issued shotguns, BBC learns

Thirteen children under the age of 10 have been issued with shotgun certificates in the UK over the past three years.
The youngest child to be granted a licence was seven years old, figures obtained by BBC News show.
As someone who is anti guns as I feel they cause more problems than they solve this shocked the hell out of me. Apperently there is no minimum age limit to how old you must be to own and operate a shot gun (who knew) but:

But when using a shotgun, children must be supervised by an adult until they turn 15.
I was always under the impression that with ANY gun you must be over the age of eightneen and personally I don't think this is a bad thing. Frankly the idea of anyone under the age of eighteen scares me. I know that a child can't just walk into a shop and buy a gun. I get that in this case that is not the scenario but are you happy with the idea of somone of that age owning a very deadly fire arm when people are banned out right from carrying pocket knifes?

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
I don't think guns a really necessary at all unless you are a policeman at something, but I agree that 10 is way too young. Kids should not be issued with powerful weapons. This was proven even here in Australia last weekend when a 14 year old boy shot a protestor in the face at a duck hunt. The woman ended up with 10 shot pellets in her face, arm and shoulder and is now blind I think in one eye.

Dekzper

Registered Member
Wow! That IS young and (imo) it's def dangerous. I mean it's not a .44 but shotguns still have a mean kick. I hope they have strong shoulders. I'm 16 and I cant even deal with a 30 ought 6! I have to use a .308 for big game.
But it's not just the UK. There's no age limit in Oklahoma for shooting a gun if you have parental consent. I've been hunting, with rifles and shotguns, since I was 13 and never shot anybody. But I did have to learn gun safety first and those kids prolly had to too. Anyway, I dont see a prob with it IF they were taught gun safety first.

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
He added that the certificate simply allowed a child to be trained and educated by an adult.
I'm confused. Are they issued shotguns (as the OP title says) or are they simply issued the license that allows them to be trained and educated by an adult (because they're under 15)?

sunrise

aka ginger warlock
V.I.P.
I think it is simply the license (I think I didn't re-read the article correctly) but even so I feel that if a the gun is placed into the hands of a child this is just wrong and with it the way it is this is very feasible.

Dekzper

Registered Member
This was proven even here in Australia last weekend when a 14 year old boy shot a protestor in the face at a duck hunt. The woman ended up with 10 shot pellets in her face, arm and shoulder and is now blind I think in one eye.
That 14 yo should never had a lisence. The most important gun safety rule is NEVER to point a gun at anyone, even if it's not loaded. But I've read stories about people getting hurt even worse with things like bottles and bricks. Weapons dont kill, people do. And they can use almost anything to do it.
I'm just curious. Why was a protestor at a duck hunt? What was she protesting?
It wouldn't matter what she was protesting though. That dude should def be banned from having a gun if he doesn't follow the rules.

sunrise

aka ginger warlock
V.I.P.
That 14 yo should never had a lisence. The most important gun safety rule is NEVER to point a gun at anyone, even if it's not loaded. But I've read stories about people getting hurt even worse with things like bottles and bricks. Weapons dont kill, people do. And they can use almost anything to do it.
I'm just curious. Why was a protestor at a duck hunt? What was she protesting?
It wouldn't matter what she was protesting though. That dude should def be banned from having a gun if he doesn't follow the rules.
I assume she was protesting agasint the duck hunt itself. I would agree entirely what you have said.