• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Children & Cell Phones

Dabs

Registered Member
At what age do you consider a young person old enough to be responsible enough to have their own cell phone??
Wait, make it a little easier....do you think a child of 11 years old, is old enough to have their own cell phone??

Jeanie

still nobody's bitch
V.I.P.
It depends on the child. My niece was responsible enough at 11 to have her own cell phone. My daughter's older sister is still not responsible enough at 12 to have her own cell phone.

generalblue

Where is my Queen?
It depends on the child. My niece was responsible enough at 11 to have her own cell phone. My daughter's older sister is still not responsible enough at 12 to have her own cell phone.
I totally agree, my friend has two sons and they both have cell phones. One is 12 years old and the other is 9 years old. The 9 year old is very responisible with it, but the 12 year old goes over the minutes that are in his bucket every month. I personally wouldn't give my kids cell phones until they were at least 15 or 16 years old.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Other than emergency purposes, I don't see how an eleven year old needs a cell phone. Lets be honest here, why else would they need one? Just a waste of money if you ask me.

Last edited:

Oooh_snap

Living on the 0th floor
V.I.P.
For me, I don't think they need one until they start driving or they are spending a significant amount of time at friend's houses, but even then I would most likely be dropping them off so I know exactly where they are and how to contact them. As others have said it also depends on the maturity of the child. I think 11 is about the very earliest I would give a child a phone, but I still feel like that is a bit early. They can rest assured that it would be one of the phones that has the kid tracker on it so I can check up on where they are through verizon's website if they aren't answering my calls.

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
I didn't get a cell phone until I was a senior in high school. So 17 years of age and it wasn't even mine...it was a "family phone." I don't think any kid needs a cell phone until they can at least drive a car.

MAgnum9987

Do What Thou Wilt
My cousin got an iPhone 2 years ago, and hes 9 years old now. He blows money on it like its nobodies business. He's spent over 150 dollars on apps, none of which he even asked for. Hes a spoiled brat.

I for one had no need for a cell phone until I was 14 years old. I hung out alot with my friends, but I didn't need anything fancy, and I don't even text that much either. So, 14 would be a pretty good age.

Jeanie

still nobody's bitch
V.I.P.
here is the obligatory "there were no cell phones when I was 11" or even 17 or even 25 post.

I was 32 when I got my first cell phone.

Dekzper

Registered Member
Yeah, it's about 13 or 14 here and I think that's a great time. If you're out somewhere an got a prob, you got the phone. If you're lost you got maps and you can check things online whenever you need to. And some of those apps are way cool!

Dabs

Registered Member
Well, I appreciate all the input, I have heard the pros and cons here in person too.
I ask because I got a cell phone for my 11 year old granddaughter.
She is my oldest grandchild, and I have custody of her, she has lived with me for the past 6 years.
(her parents...pieces of crappus they are)...anyway, I won't allow them around her, and sometimes she goes off with friends or something, so I got her a simple basic one, nothing fancy at all...she can text and call ~LoL~
I wanted her to have one in case she needed to ever reach me.
She's done very well so far, she's a pretty good girl..but she is only 11....and I told her, one phuck-up, and the phone is history! :D