"Children and sex"

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by RJ-Cool, Jun 29, 2010.

1. RJ-Cool

RJ-Cool "Expect the unexpected"

I honestly don't remember 'the birds and the bees' being explained to me by my parents. I learned about sex from my older brothers, school and society in general.

If a child should ask you about sex, what would your response be?

What age do you think is acceptable to begin teaching children in general/your children about sex?

2. EllyDicious

EllyDicious made of AMBIGUITY V.I.P. Lifetime

I think the right time for children to know more about sex is when they're 13[unless they haven't had sex until then] :lol:

If a child asked me, I'd say you should take some medicines to get pregnant.
    If the child is around 12 or 13 [and I'm sure they know what sex is and how the child is conceived] but would be better to let them know about STDs and unwanted pregnancies.

3. storm_ina_C_cup

storm_ina_C_cup Registered Member

My parents never sat me down and told me about "the birds and the bees", either. I learned about sex through Sex Ed at school; I believe I was in the 6th grade if I'm not mistaken???

If my daughter asked me about sex, I'd just come right out and talk to her about it; I can't say exactly what I'd say to her, I'd just go with the flow, I think.:)

hmmm, I don't think you can set an age limit on when to tell your child about sex; it depends on the individual child and how mature and curious they are to understand.

4. Rebeccaaa

Rebeccaaa yellow 4!

My parents never explained anything to me either. I learned most from my best friend in school whose mum was a contraceptive saleswoman, lol.

Just a random child? I'd tell them to ask their parents haha. If it's a relative of mine (which I assume you mean anyway) then I'd probably be pretty straight with them if they were old enough, except for the details.
    But yeah not sure really, all I know is I would never give them some 'ooo and there appears a stork with a baby' story. :lol:

I don't think there's a set age, just depends on individual maturity and when the time feels right for both parents (or relative) and child. There's always the good old 'I'll tell you when you're older' line... God knows how many times my parents said that to me, I think I was too curious for my own good.

5. leomay

leomay Registered Member

i think after 15....
    i donnot pay much attention to it even i was in colleage school...i even wandering ..

6. AnitaKnapp

AnitaKnapp It's not me, it's you. V.I.P. Lifetime

There was this time that my dad thought it prudent to have this conversation with my sister and I. I was too young and was cracking jokes the whole time. I think I was 12, and she was 16.

My dad used a baseball analogy, and said things about boys wanting in my pants. I said things like...well if they can get in my girl pants, I guess they can wear them, then.

My sister was mortified, I was amused.

7. Millz

Millz LGB Staff Member V.I.P.

I think I was in fourth grade when I had my first sex-education class in school. So I was, uh, 9 years old or something? I never had a conversation about it with my parents at all. It would have been extremely uncomfortable for me for some reason.

If a kid asked me I would probably not tell them...especially if I didn't know them. I don't think I'd be comfortable doing it regardless if I did or not. They should find out in a different mean.

8. fractal

fractal Eye see what you did ther

You shouldn't tell them something like that! Just tell them that it's too complicated and that they will understand it when they grow older. Or ask them to ask their parents.

9. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

I think the worst response to a child asking is to say something along the lines of "when you're older" or "It's nothing." Now of course if the kid is like four then yeah it's probably just a word they heard but if it seems they have some inkling as to what it may be, then it's incredibly stupid as a parent to ignore their curiosity because you're not going to stop them from wondering.

I'm not sure what is so hard about the birds and bees discussion, then again I'm not a parent yet. However I'm not sure why people get so awkward about it. Perhaps it's the thought that your child is likely to have sex at some point in their lives that makes it uncomfortable but whatever the case may be, I think it reflects society's continued conservative views of it. I mean, you don't want to encourage them obviously but you do want to let them know at least a bit of what it is or else they're going to find other avenues of knowledge and as we've all known for a long time now, parents are never going to prevent their kids from completely answering their questions especially with something like the internet or even a library available to them.

Deciding the appropriate amount of info has to be the only "right" answer I suppose. In terms of myself, I learned mostly from health class but my parents never really "sat me down" or anything. I don't know if that makes them bad parents, but I never really had a problem understanding it or anything.

10. EllyDicious

EllyDicious made of AMBIGUITY V.I.P. Lifetime

What's wrong with it?
    That's what I've been told when I was little. I think that was the best answer my parents could give me and I'd do the same with my child.

I remember learning about it when I was 12. I didn't know children came into life through sex until a 10 years old friend of mine told me about it.
    We were at the beach and I asked her :lol: ... and when she gave me the answer I was surprised :shifteyes:

I mean, we had learned in our biology class how a creature is conceived but for some reason I was too dumb to understand it or .. I don't know ..

Last edited: Jun 29, 2010