• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Childhood things that carry on but have lost meaning

Daemonic

Registered Member
Was just thinking about some weird things people do but seem to ignore or forget the meaning of....

Like ring around the rosy... which is actually about the bubonic plague. Rock a by baby, where the baby fucking dies. Even a Common Christian night time prayer where they say "If I die before I wake".

Why do we teach kids this shit, and for the stuff we don't teach them directly how did it get carried on? (rhetorical question by the way). It's just amazing that such morbid topics lose their meaning and are carried on through children.

Anyway, I named the ones I can think of that are strange. Anyone else know of any common ones I missed and their meaning? Do you think adults should explain these things to children? If so how would you do it and would you maybe even change the wording of things to make a less morbid theme in some cases. For example, if I was christian I would take out the "if I die before I wake" when explaining to a child. That's the type of stuff that gives kids nightmares. Also I would explain ring around the rosy, If kids truly knew in detail what it was about would they be laughing and playing it as a game?

Last edited:

Dabs

Registered Member
Was just thinking about some weird things people do but seem to ignore or forget the meaning of....

Like ring around the rosy... which is actually about the bubonic plague. Rock a by baby, where the baby fucking dies. Even a Common Christian night time prayer where they say "If I die before I wake".

Why do we teach kids this shit, and for the stuff we don't teach them directly how did it get carried on? (rhetorical question by the way). It's just amazing that such morbid topics lose their meaning and are carried on through children.

I had no idea 'ring around the rosy' was about the bubonic plague.
But if we did as you suggest, and tell the children what it really is all about, the bubonic plague, that in turn has opened a whole new can of worms....because then we'd be left having (or trying) to explain what the hell the bubonic plague is.
As for why are we teaching our children this stuff??
I have no answer for others, but I never really taught my children the 'if I die before I wake' routine....and I have no idea why this stuff gets carried on.
Truth be told, I can't think of any children that I know, personally, that do the 'if I die before I wake' thing.