• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Child Labour

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I was wondering what you though about child labour, like the kids in asia making clothes or shoes but about 8cents and hour. I think it's really wrong, and even though it's probably their only way of making money, the money this clothes and shoes are making they should make a lot more then 8cents an hour. Also these kids are about like nine years old. But I am kinda bad to because I do where the clothes these kids make in Asia.

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
I saw a film about Gap and their child laborers. It was a british newsreporter who pretended to be some kind of inspector/official type and he gained access to the workers. It was pretty bad.

It's all money once again. Child labor=cheap work & quality clothing. If they can hire people for such a low wage, they save themselves all kinds of money from salaries, benefits, and reitrement plans. From a business standpoint, hiring children and outsourcing these jobs to poor countries is genius. From my own moral standpoint, I think these high-ranking executives need to be slapped around with a golf club.

Pugz

Ms. Malone
V.I.P.
Admittedly, I've got 2 pairs of Nike pants and some Adidas trainers. But i guess that doesn't make me that bad.

Big corporations like Nike hire children (and sometimes adults) because these children need the money and the heads of these corporations have easily manipulated these poor kids because they don't realize that they could be paid so much more than 8 cents an hour. If they knew how much money these corporations were making, they'd stop until they got more money. Without them, Nike and others wouldn't be on the shelves.

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
Pugz said:
Big corporations like Nike hire children (and sometimes adults) because these children need the money and the heads of these corporations have easily manipulated these poor kids because they don't realize that they could be paid so much more than 8 cents an hour. If they knew how much money these corporations were making, they'd stop until they got more money. Without them, Nike and others wouldn't be on the shelves.
Not necessarily. They don't always brainwash them into thinking 8 cents is the best, it's because 8 cents an hour is a great wage in those parts of the world. They also know that if they start demanding higher wages, they'll be fired because there's always going to be another worker that will be fine with 8 cents.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
It's really easy to replace someone that doesn't want to work for 8 cents an hour, also I don't feel guilty because i have 160$ shoes, made by the Jordan Brand, but I dont think the Jordan Brand have childs working for them, but I still think it's wrong even if that's a good way to making money to feed their family they should pay them much more.

oxyMORON

A Darker Knight
It's wrong, but like The Mercenary said, it's all about the money. If you can get what you want for a lower price, why spend more than you need?

Although sweat shops are bad, it's still kind of like doing the poor countries a little favor. Big companies still need to rent and build factories as well as pay their workers as little as they may get. So it still kind of helps their economies.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Yeah it's true in a way but those companies that the childrem are working for are making millions and millions a year, I am sure they can pay the kids minimum wage, so that's why it gets me so mad, we pay so much for the shoes and clothes and they don't even pay there employees that much.

Kos4Evr

Registered Member
I totally agree with Vince because these countries don't want to lose profits on overpriced shoes. I will never buy a pair of shoes made by a big company unless I can get a reasonable price. I once bought a pair of Nikes that were all black. You couldn't even see the logo unless you looked close enough. The only reason I bought them was the price.

These corporate execs need to be shot. That is all there is to it.

A

Anonym0uz Bitch

That is a rather ignorant statment....lets shoot people because they are trying to earn more money, while it costs them less.....not a very good statement to say, thats for sure. I dont agree with that they are doing, but they are trying to earn a profit, and that is what America is about, so hate the system, not the people that go by the system.

Kos4Evr

Registered Member
Corporate execs don't need more money. Then need to be able to cover their costs and earn a decent profit, not get richer and richer just to pay for the next big celebrity endorsement. There is a difference between making money and greed. These fuckers are just greedy.