• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Child Beauty Pagents

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
Wiki said:
Besides the laws that regulate child education, pageants are a relatively ungoverned program. Child contestants are not considered "working", so pageants are exempt from federal child labor laws.
This stuff is sick. I hate that mothers (and fathers) allow or force their children into this kind of life when they should be innocently playing. It's a crock of shit that these children are being dressed up as sex objects and shown off in front of the world. I don't see how these actions can be good for the child's development in later life. Just look at this crap:

How is this even legal?

Dekzper

Registered Member
I dont get why people would put kidz in beauty contests. I mean, they dont even look attractive since they're just kidz, weird. But if we can see that photo then there's prolly weird pervs that can see it too and that's not good. If those parents really love their kidz, they shouldn't be doing things like that.

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
I agree with Steve in the fact that it's gotten to the point of being sick. Let kids be kids. If a little girl performs through dancing, for example, she's often having fun doing it (at least that's the case with my niece). Don't introduce little girls to these shallow interpretations of beauty when they're so young. Adults know what it's about, they should know better.

PretzelCorps

Registered Member
What are you talking about, this is important! We live in a society that judges everything based on how it looks; if we don't teach our children that real accomplishment is a waste of time, that it's everything on the outside that counts, how will they ever integrate and function properly?

But for reals, half of the people out there that look at a picture like that say "It's disgusting!" and then move on to the next thread to write "Celebrities are so important because their beautiful!" It's all a function of our own one-dimensional hearts, and I don't really find it all that surprising; most of those little girls go on to make hundreds of thousands of dollars per year. How do you argue with that?

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
What are you talking about, this is important! We live in a society that judges everything based on how it looks; if we don't teach our children that real accomplishment is a waste of time, that it's everything on the outside that counts, how will they ever integrate and function properly?

But for reals, half of the people out there that look at a picture like that say "It's disgusting!" and then move on to the next thread to write "Celebrities are so important because their beautiful!" It's all a function of our own one-dimensional hearts, and I don't really find it all that surprising; most of those little girls go on to make hundreds of thousands of dollars per year. How do you argue with that?
I'd say because the people that judge celebrities by looks instead of acting ability aren't everyone. Just because shallowness exists in our society doesn't mean that it should be perpetuated through our children. We should strive to leave behind a better society for them, I'd say.

The disgusting aspect of it all also has to do with age appropriate attire and behavior; some of these pageants really cross the line with that from what I understand. In general that's not right, especially in a world that does have pedophilia as a problem.

fractal

Eye see what you did ther
Why I think it's adorable. There's nothing wrong with it.

these children are being dressed up as sex objects
Laughable claim. I looked at the picture and thought they looked cute. Sex didn't even come to my mind.

Unity said:
I'd say because the people that judge celebrities by looks instead of acting ability aren't everyone. Just because shallowness exists in our society doesn't mean that it should be perpetuated through our children.

I'm sure most people are more interested in a person's looks rather than their acting ability. You may not agree with that, but let's face it - if you don't have the looks no one will care about how well you act. The audience wants to see a desirable face before looking for good acting. And what is this shallowness you talk of? Beauty is simply one of the several attributes one can compete with. There's nothing shallow about it.

Unity said:
especially in a world that does have pedophilia as a problem.
So are you for supporting a ban of women from dark alleys because rape is a problem? Pedophiles can be anywhere including swimming pools. You cannot protect children from prying eyes. And while this provides a greater exposure, so do movies. You can't prevent children from acting in movies.

Last edited:

oxyMORON

A Darker Knight
I dunno, man. All arguments aside, I think it's just too soon for kids to be doing that kind of stuff. I'm not sure if pageants started out with adults and then branching out to other age groups or starting out as children and then expanding to adults, but I have a feeling it's the former.

Anyways, there's so many other activities that kids can do instead of this. To me, kids' pageants are just little mock pageants preparing them for a future filled with this kind of stuff. I just think it's too early. Kids should be playing with toys and playing pretend, not showcasing their supposed "beauty". Don't grow up too fast.

PretzelCorps

Registered Member
I'd say because the people that judge celebrities by looks instead of acting ability aren't everyone. Just because shallowness exists in our society doesn't mean that it should be perpetuated through our children. We should strive to leave behind a better society for them, I'd say.

The disgusting aspect of it all also has to do with age appropriate attire and behavior; some of these pageants really cross the line with that from what I understand. In general that's not right, especially in a world that does have pedophilia as a problem.
I'm in no way arguing for it's perpetuation, but it's not so simple a matter. The OP questioned 'how can a parent do that to their child,' but when many of these children go on to fame and fortunes beyond the purview of any person of average decent, being so broadly rewarded (at least, in the eyes of the vast majority of people) for being made into commodities of figurative public rape, the question almost becomes 'how can a parent NOT do that to their child?'

The obvious enough answer would be to suggest that there is more to life than just money and celebrity, but while I've met many people who say such things, I've not met many at all who genuinely believe or attempt to live it.

fractal

Eye see what you did ther
To me, kids' pageants are just little mock pageants preparing them for a future filled with this kind of stuff. I just think it's too early. Kids should be playing with toys and playing pretend, not showcasing their supposed "beauty". Don't grow up too fast.
I'm with you on this if it's forced on them. However, at their age this might as well as be considered playing, with lots of benefits thrown in. And this is not necessarily their future. It might become their future, but the way this message is being put across in this thread is as if it's like they have picked their careers already and have sacrificed their playtime by working.

These children have a choice and this exposure is good for them. They might be picked up for an advertisement, or a movie or so many other nice things. The beauty pageant lasts for a few hours and the preparation for it will not take much time. People are losing perspective.

Dabs

Registered Member
I think when the girls are babies, it's a whole 'nother ballgame.
They drool, they spit, they coo, they pat-a-cake........but once they started growing up....the drools and spits become kisses, the pat-a-cakes become handshakes and/or hand clasps.....and some of the little teeny suits they put them in, they wear about as much as a runway model does now.
What happened to little girls being little girls??
Maybe if the little girls were excited..that would help too, but sometimes you see what looks like the parent forcing the child to participate.
I'm not a fan of child beauty pageants anymore.
When my daughter was around 7 and 8 and 9 years old, she was in beauty competitions..this is how long ago....one rehearsal they did to the tune of M.C. Hammer....anyway, my daughter grew tired of it very quickly.
My Mother and I bought dresses that were outrageous.....shoes that could pay a month's rent.......it was fun at first, but then after some time, my Mother and I started sitting back and taking in the whole picture.
(I guess because my other 3 children were boys, they had sports, I wanted the daughter to have something too).
I made a mistake......my daughter was sort of giddy at first, but the newness wore off and she grew to hate it.
Of course I didn't force her to continue on......but I see the child pageants are still growing strong.
It can help self esteem I guess, but it sure can also empty a purse!...and cause pedophiles to come out of the woodwork, they live for this stuff!

Last edited: