• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Chicago police officer sues over shooting

Status
Not open for further replies.

thealigator

Registered Member
A white Chicago police officer who fatally shot a black teenager last December is suing his family for $10m (£6.9m), claiming emotional distress.

Robert Rialmo shot 19-year-old student Quintonio LeGrier six times, killing the boy's neighbour in the process. Mr Rialmo says Mr LeGrier swung at him with a baseball bat from close range, but Mr LeGrier's lawyers say the two were at least 20ft (6m) apart. The lawsuit comes amid a federal investigation into Chicago's police. The investigation is focusing on the use of force by officers and the department's accountability procedures.

It was launched after weeks of protests over the police killing of a black teenager by a white officer
Source: BBC News

I am quite certain taking the life of anyone is a stressful thing to do. I could never be in the army because no matter the circumstances I would still think "I have taken someones lift when it is not mine to take", I am not religious I just don't think I have the right to take someones life, I am unsure I could even pull the trigger.

I have never heard of someone in law enforcement suing someone such as this and I have to say it makes me feel very uncomfortable. The circumstances and the story seem to be very much "he said she said" for a start, the family also whatever happened here have lost a family member (though one could argue that the police officer's family may have lost a family member under different circumstances) but to sue for 10 million dollars? Is he trying to ruin their lives even more? Because if he is successful he may accomplish that.

What is your take on this though? Do you believe he is in the right? Should the police be able to do this and if this comes off do you think this may happen more often?

thealigator

Registered Member
Ahh sorry Hi, I didn't see this the previous thread. Could I ask if this could be closed and or delected to avoid duplicate threads?

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
No harm aligator.

Status
Not open for further replies.