• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Chicago PD corruption

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
I'm sure some of you have heard about the Chicago police officer, Jason Van Dyke, who was recently charged with the murder of 17 year old Laquan McDonald.

McDonald was killed by police in October 2014 after being shot 16 times. According to the police reports put out after the shooting...

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...hicago-police-reports-met-20151204-story.html

The reports, a collection of handwritten statements from the night of the shooting, and follow-up reports in the days and months after, often refer to Van Dyke as VD and call him the victim. McDonald is O, for offender. Some are in police shorthand.

"VD believed O was attacking w/knife," said a report of Van Dyke's account. "Trying to kill VD. In defense of his life, VD backpedaled + fired. O fell to ground, continued to move/grasp knife. VD continued firing. O appeared to be attempting to get up, still holding knife. Pointing at VD."
Now here's where it gets interesting...

There is a dashcam video of the shooting! The thing is, city officials fought against the release of the video for over a year (which just so happened to coincide with Mayor Rahm Emanuel's reelection bid) until a judge ordered its release to the public just a few weeks ago, and only then was Van Dyke arrested.

I'm not going to link the video here. You can find it pretty easily if you want to see it. But what the video shows is vastly different than the accounts given by the officers who were at the scene. McDonald did not make any aggressive moves towards any officers. After being shot and falling to the ground, he did not continue to move or attempt to get up. He was clearly no longer a threat, yet he continued to be shot. This was a blatant execution.

This was also supposedly caught by a surveillance camera at a Burger King 100 feet away, but 86 minutes of footage mysteriously disappeared after investigators had checked it out.

I wonder how high up this cover up goes and what Rahm Emanuel knew. He has since fired the police chief. There's been a lot of pressure for Emanuel to resign, but he's declined.

Could this type of police misconduct be more widespread than just Chicago? We tend to put a lot of trust into law enforcement, but oftentimes it seems like they're more concerned about protecting their own than upholding the law. Makes you think.

At least Chris Christie would have their backs.

"Here's what every law enforcement, all 700,000 of them, should know tonight: when President Christie is in the oval office, I'll have your back."

Rapier

V.I.P.
McDonald was killed by police in October 2014 after being shot 16 times.
Over a year ago? The MSM should have hounded/resolved this shot 16 times shit out in a couple of months. The MSM is covering up something.

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
It's bad and it's not exclusive to Chicago. This is a really bad example of it though. One whole year, and it's obvious what happened. He was walking away and was executed. Shame on the PD and on Emanuel.

Rapier

V.I.P.
I've read "somewhere" the riddling/mutilating a victim is a recent military phenomena. Take a guess who would be providing riddling seminars for American police.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I think this goes on in cities big and small across the country and it didn't just start. Some people think this is a new thing but the only thing new about it is cameras.

I see what this cop did as murder and he should have been arrested immediately. Rahm should also step down as mayor. Any cops, including the investigators that deleted the surveillance footage, that lied to protect that cop should be fired too and charged with aiding and abetting. Anyone else would be.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
If we accept that officers should use whatever force is reasonably necessary to effect an arrest or protect themselves (or others) from imminent harm, this officer clearly went far beyond that. And, I do believe it happens everywhere. Even here in Canada.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
I think this goes on in cities big and small across the country and it didn't just start. Some people think this is a new thing but the only thing new about it is cameras.
For sure. Even with cameras it seems like a lot of cops are all too willing to abuse their power, and they are rarely held accountable for it. It's scary to think about everything that could possibly go on off camera.

And what can really be done about it? A police officer's account will always be seen as more credible than that of any suspect or eyewitness in the eyes of the law.

I'm not saying all cops are bad, or even most, but I believe it was Benjamin Franklin who said, "It is the first responsibility of every citizen to question authority."

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
There's also an investigation into Chicago's Homan Square interrogation facility.

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/oct/19/homan-square-chicago-police-disappeared-thousands

Police “disappeared” more than 7,000 people at an off-the-books interrogation warehouse in Chicago, nearly twice as many detentions as previously disclosed, the Guardian can now reveal.
From August 2004 to June 2015, nearly 6,000 of those held at the facility were black, which represents more than twice the proportion of the city’s population. But only 68 of those held were allowed access to attorneys or a public notice of their whereabouts, internal police records show.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Sounds like the Justice Dept needs to turn Chicago upside down.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
CHICAGO — Why are so many police dashcam videos silent?

Chicago Police Department officers stashed microphones in their squad car glove boxes. They pulled out batteries. Microphone antennas got busted or went missing. And sometimes, dashcam systems didn’t have any microphones at all, DNAinfo Chicago has learned.
https://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/201...-no-sound-syndrome-on-chicago-police-dashcams

If they did this anyone involved should be fired. Should be legal repercussions for it too.