Cheesecake... What is it!

Discussion in 'Food & Beverage' started by icegoat63, Feb 3, 2009.

?

Cake or Pie... make your selection

1. Cake

7.7%
  2. Pie

92.3%
  1. icegoat63

icegoat63 Son of Liberty V.I.P. Lifetime

I've heard this debate flare up on a few different radio stations, nobody seems to know the exact conclusion of what the real truth is behind Cheese Cake.

So allow me to pose this question with some quick variables to consider:

Pie
    1. a baked food having a filling of fruit, meat, pudding, etc., prepared in a pastry-lined pan or dish and often topped with a pastry crust: apple pie; meat pie.
    2. a layer cake with a filling of custard, cream jelly, or the like: chocolate cream pie.

[​IMG]

Cake
    1. a sweet, baked, breadlike food, made with or without shortening, and usually containing flour, sugar, baking powder or soda, eggs, and liquid flavoring.
    2. a flat, thin mass of bread, esp. unleavened bread.

[​IMG]

So knowing that.... is Cheesecake... a cake or a Pie?

2. WesJones87

WesJones87 RayzorBlade87

I'd say that Cheesecake is like the Quiche of the dessert world. Quiche is neither a Pie nor a Pizza.

Although according to those descriptions above, I'd have to go with the cake. A Pie has a crust incorporated somewhere, the cheesecake doesn't (shouldn't) have any kind of crust, just the crumble at the base. It's in the name as well! :lol:

Last edited: Feb 3, 2009
  3. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

Has more in common with a pie if you ask me.

4. Cait

Cait Oh, poppycock.

I'm going to go with pie. It reminds me of the pumpkin pie, so pie.

5. AnitaKnapp

AnitaKnapp It's not me, it's you. V.I.P. Lifetime

I'll have to go with pie on this one.

6. Impact

Impact Registered Member V.I.P. Lifetime

Cheesecake is so delicious that it should neither be classified as a pie or a cake. It is simply 'Cheesecake'

But if I had to choose from the above 2 options, it fits more in the pie category.

7. Blueyes

Blueyes Registered Member

Hmm interesting thought. Why not send me a cheesecake so I can sit there and eat it to ponder this question lol

Honestly, if I really had to choose, it would be a pie because cake is all spongy.

8. Hiei

Hiei The Hierophant

I could have sworn that I've already made this thread.

But I side with pie. Pies are less fluffy than a cake and have a crust.

9. Rebeccaaa

Rebeccaaa yellow 4!

Wiki agrees:

Despite their name, cheesecakes are technically tarts, that is, open-topped pies; the word 'cake' was formerly applied to a much broader category of foods than it is today.

10. icegoat63

icegoat63 Son of Liberty V.I.P. Lifetime

I looked everywhere I promise! There was no other thread about Cheesecake aside from about a million threads on the Cheesecake Factory!

My choice in this epic battle is Pie. Mostly cause I consider cakes to be more of the Bread variety and although they'll have custard and what not mixed inside... its not a cake to me unless its got that spongy bread feel to it. However if someone came up with a cheesecake Cake... you can bet I'd consider that a cake! Sorta like when you stuff a layered cake with a fruity Jam or Jelly.