• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Checking your Debit and Credit Card Statements.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
About 90 percent of consumers either fail to check their payment card statements or only skim them, which means many victims fail to catch fraudulent charges on a timely basis, said Yaron Samid, the chief executive of BillGuard, citing research his company conducted.

How to defend yourself against credit card fraud - CBS News
I always look over my statements every month. If there is any question I call the bank. So far I haven't had someone rip me off but it does happen. According to this article many people don't pay much attentions to them, which is a good way to get ripped off.

I was wondering if you look at your statements faithfully? Ever had a problem with being charged with something you didn't buy?

Smelnick

Creeping On You
V.I.P.
I always look over my bank statement whenever I can. I've never had an issue, but I like to always know how much money I have in my account. I never use my debit card without knowing.

Elanor

Registered Member
I look at my statements online at least twice a week, and go through recent transactions carefully. I used to go with the 'ignorance is bliss' way of thinking, as I was having money issues and preferred to not have to think about it. Now, I make sure I know how much I have to prevent getting myself into trouble again.

I have been lucky that I have not had my details stolen so far, or charged for something I haven't bought. It could hope it never happens, but of course it could one day.

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
Like Elanor I check my credit cards online about twice a week, and I check on my checking account every day. I've never had any problems but my sister was a victim of identity theft and it was a pain in the ass for her clear everything up.

dDave

V.I.P.
I still log in to my checking account (either from my computer or my phone) every single day to make sure that I have the right balance in there. It takes like 15 seconds, not a big deal at all. Only problem is that I have a pathetic amount of money in there and it will remain that way until I get a job :lol:.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Considering how well everyone on here checks their statements I don't know where they get that 90% from. I know someone that never wrote down checks they wrote in their checkbook until I brought up someone could rip them off for $20 or $30 every week and they wouldn't notice it. Now they do.

Smelnick

Creeping On You
V.I.P.
It makes sense though. Since all of us are regular internet users, its not much of a bother to check. I have an app on my phone for checking my balance even. The 90% might be because they polled non-regular internet users. If I was only able to check my balance at the bank, I'd probably check less often.

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
I check my online statement two or three times a week and I still balance my checkbook the old school way. I also save my receipts and whenever I get the paper statement in the mail I match them up to my checkbook.

So yeah, I'm anal, haha

danwiz

Registered Member
I check my online Amex Statement every single day and have never had a fraudulent charge.

I also check my bank accounts online every day and have never had a problem.

As somebody above said - I too still balance my checkbook the old fashioned way - with a pen and a calculator.

brikaben

Registered Member
I check my bank account about 2-3 times a week. I like get paid monthly so like to check how much money I have so I don't spend too much.