• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Cheap ways to revamp your old beater.

Frenzy

Registered Member
So, I have had a 1996 F150 truck I bought for $1,500 back in 2001 from a poultry plant auction. They take vehicles that have over 100,000 miles on it and sell them off via silent bids. I honestly didn't think I'd get the truck, it looked almost new and had 115,000 miles on it with brand new tires, and a full service record, but low and behold, I was the high bidder lol.

The truck now has 285,000 miles on it and I have yet to spend a dime on any repairs for it, other than oil changes and tires. The paint has a few chips now here and there, the steel stock rims were all nicked up with a little rust showing in spots, as well as the steel bumpers. So I found this product called... wait for it... Plasti-Dip!

Amazing stuff if you ask me. It comes in either a direct "dip" can (for tool handles etc) OR a spray can. It cost about $5.00 per can at Lowes, but the really cool thing about it is when you spray it on it is like spraying a plastic coating, not paint. It goes on so much better than spray paint, it fills rough spots to even with no effort and the finished product looks and feels like a heavy plastic.

You can apply it on ANY clean surface and the beauty of it is:

- If the finish gets damaged, simply use a knife to cut out the damaged spot and reapply Plasti dip. Once finished, you will never know the spot was damaged.

- If you grow tired of the Plasti-dip look, simply peel it off and the surface below is 100% preserved with no damage and will look just as it did the day before you applied Plasti-dip. Peeling it off is not an easy process, but compared to removing paint, it's a breeze. Basically once started you can pull and work it off in 1 piece with quite a bit of effort.

So, I have sand blasted my rims and bumpers and "Plasti-dipped" them, next I am going to apply a ground effect line along the bottom sides of my F150 to complete the look. I will post pics of the application and finished product once I do the the ground effect line either this weekend or the following. I think it's a pretty cheap, pretty impressive looking revamp for any "old beater" that still runs great but needs a more modern look.

Look forward to posting the pics and look forward to seeing if anyone else does their own project or has idea's of their own for cheap revamps.

dDave

V.I.P.
285,000 miles on a '96 F-150? I am thoroughly impressed. And for $1,500, you really did yourself a favor by getting that one.

I've never heard of this plasti-dip. Other than the bumper and rims where did you use this on your car? Is it clear, sort of like a lamination? And most importantly, does it wear out?

I drive a 2004 Subaru outback in red. I've got a lot of fairly heavy scratches on the back bumper (from getting hit by a Mercedes SUV, we just kept the money we got instead of fixing it) as well as scratches/gashes from when my car was driven into a ditch in the snow. The damage from the ditch is mostly on the front left, but there are some fairly heavy gashes around the front right wheel well. The front left fog light cage was shattered though.

Now the car is set up with a Red/Tan color scheme. Pretty much all of the scratches are to the tan areas on the vehicle and underneath the scratches it shows a very clear black.

Any cheap suggestions on fixing this?

------
I've also been helping my dad fix up a Jeep Wrangler (in blue of course). Craigslist is amazing for stuff like this. Got new tires, bumpers, a roof rack, winch, rock sliders, etc. for really cheap.

Done a lot of engine work on old Jeeps with my dad, we have a strange attraction to them I guess.

Last edited:

Frenzy

Registered Member
285,000 miles on a '96 F-150? I am thoroughly impressed. And for $1,500, you really did yourself a favor by getting that one.

I've never heard of this plasti-dip. Other than the bumper and rims where did you use this on your car? Is it clear, sort of like a lamination? And most importantly, does it wear out?

I drive a 2004 Subaru outback in red. I've got a lot of fairly heavy scratches on the back bumper (from getting hit by a Mercedes SUV, we just kept the money we got instead of fixing it) as well as scratches/gashes from when my car was driven into a ditch in the snow. The damage from the ditch is mostly on the front left, but there are some fairly heavy gashes around the front right wheel well. The front left fog light cage was shattered though.

Now the car is set up with a Red/Tan color scheme. Pretty much all of the scratches are to the tan areas on the vehicle and underneath the scratches it shows a very clear black.

Any cheap suggestions on fixing this?

------
I've also been helping my dad fix up a Jeep Wrangler (in blue of course). Craigslist is amazing for stuff like this. Got new tires, bumpers, a roof rack, winch, rock sliders, etc. for really cheap.

Done a lot of engine work on old Jeeps with my dad, we have a strange attraction to them I guess.
Plasti-dip comes in Black, Blue, Red, Yellow and I even think White.

As for wear, understand it is basically spray on plastic. It coats very smoothly and even and won't have an uneven look like paint can. I have used Plasti-dip on a few occasions in the past but just thought of using it on my truck only a few weeks ago. In the past I have Plasti-dipped a complete outside deck set. One 5' steel round table and 4 steel chairs in Black, this was perhaps 3 years ago and I use the furniture very often during warm months. To date I have re-sprayed a small section of the table top that a hot pan was set on that discolored and disfigured the spot it was set. I cut out the bad spot, re-sprayed 3 coats and there is no way you can tell it was ever redone.

My truck is a white truck that had steel grey painted (factory) bumpers and rims. They are now black and look and feel like a heavy grade plastic. Cleaning them has never been easier as nothing sticks to them like bugs etc and everything just wipes off. Throw a little armorall on a rag it it shines like new.

There are video's on youtube showing how to prep and spray parts of your vehicle and it is as easy as it seems, maybe even easier lol. I love the stuff.