Chatting grannies are 'noisy nuisance'

Discussion in 'Offbeat News' started by Pugz, Nov 3, 2008.

1. Pugz

Pugz Ms. Malone V.I.P. Lifetime

2. Wade8813

Wade8813 Registered Member

What are OAPs? And how is it that there have been complaints for 2 years, to what appears to be multiple landlords? This doesn't sound like just one jerk complaining, but multiple people. Also, did they ask these elderly people to just be a little quieter? I'd need more info before deciding anything.

3. AngelsPeak

AngelsPeak Wanna play?

I can't click on that link from work. Is the story too long to post?

4. Buddhz

Buddhz Registered Member

OAPs are Old Age Pensioners.

I don't understand this - unless the benches are directly under someone's window it doesn't make any sense. More likely to be someone with a grudge.
    ------
    PENSIONERS have been told the benches they sit at to have a cup of tea and a chat will be removed — because their behaviour is anti-social.

The group of seven, one of them aged 96, have been accused of “noise nuisance” and disturbing nearby residents.
    Bosses of flats they gather outside say they have had complaints for two years and may take their benches away.
    But the group, who meet daily for a gossip, are appalled at being labelled Asbo OAPs.
    Lager

Former NHS secretary Ann Reddy, 69, who is recovering from a stroke and has arthritis, said: “It’s unbelievable. How could we be capable of anti-social behaviour?
    “We don’t drink and sit throwing cans of lager around or sing in the middle of the night.”
    Great-gran Rose Anderson, 96, added: “If I couldn’t meet my friends and had to sit in my flat all day I would go mad.”
    But Julie Schoon of Broomleigh Housing Association in Mottingham, South London, said: “As a landlord we have to ensure complaints are acted upon.”
    The row comes after a Help The Aged report showed millions of over-65s feel lonely and would benefit from getting out to meet others.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2008
  5. Bliss

Bliss Sally Twit

OAP = Old Age Pensioners aka over 65's

6. Pugz

Pugz Ms. Malone V.I.P. Lifetime

Here ya go Angels.

Character Limit? WTF?

7. Nightsurfer

Nightsurfer ~Lucky 13 strikes again~

I just can't see a group of grannies causing trouble or being that loud, I just can't see it. Sounds to me like someone has an axe to grind with the grannies.

Leave them alone they weren't hurting anybody, has anyone actualy given any proof that the grannies are being too loud or causing any trouble? If the answer is no, then leave them alone and go pick on someone else. They have all earned the right to sit and chat over tea.

8. AngelsPeak

AngelsPeak Wanna play?

I always feel bad when I see an elderly person by themselves. They always seem so sad and lonely.
    What are those benches there for if not to sit at? They're just fortunate enough to have someone to share them with.

9. Buddhz

Buddhz Registered Member

Let's face it, the environmental health people come around with those noise sensors sometimes and can't even shut down a party because it's not loud enough, how they can take those benches away is beyond me!