• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Chat Locking Up Computer

BigBob

Registered Member
For over a week now, any time I go into chat.. as soon as it tries to load my webcam it locks up my computer where I'm forced to reset.

Anyone else having this issue? I've never had the problem before the last couple of weeks.

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
I don't have the direct fix or anything, unfortunately. I do experience the same problem on my old computer (a 2005 media center PC)...chat used to work there but for about the past year or year and a half when I get into the chat program at all, it resets the computer.

Like I said, I don't have the solution but I thought I'd throw it out there that Bob isn't the only one that has had issues with it before.

BigBob

Registered Member
I don't have the direct fix or anything, unfortunately. I do experience the same problem on my old computer (a 2005 media center PC)...chat used to work there but for about the past year or year and a half when I get into the chat program at all, it resets the computer.

Like I said, I don't have the solution but I thought I'd throw it out there that Bob isn't the only one that has had issues with it before.
I guess I can say I'm glad I'm not the only one having the problem. This computer is just a little over a year old. I was hoping it was just Google Chrome, but I tried Internet Explorer and it lasted about a minute and then my whole computer locked up.

dDave

V.I.P.
Have you checked your drivers?

Do you have any idea how much of your computers resources are used up when running the program?

Usually when a program locks up it's because of an error (usually caused by drivers) or it's because you don't have enough resources.

Since you're doing a webcam check if you can go into quickcam (or whatever you have) to just run the webcam in Windows (not chat).

Does it freeze when you are just doing text chat or only when you do the webcam?

BigBob

Registered Member
Well what I planned on doing was seeing if there were any updates on Logitech's website.

Right now it's saying that this particular webcam isn't compatible with my version of Windows. I haven't had this problem before and QuickCam is no longer showing up on my desktop/computer period.

I believe this has happened since I did a factory reset on my computer.

I've used the same computer and same webcam in chat since I got this at the very beginning of last year.

dDave

V.I.P.
Looks like there was some type of update to Windows that made your webcam incompatible.

What webcam do you have and what version of Windows 7/Vista? (ie home premium 64/32. professional 64/32. etc)

Is your webcam built into a laptop or anything?

BigBob

Registered Member
I actually just tried running it under a Windows XP service pack, which it is compatible with, and it still says that it's incompatible but I haven't had quickcam for about a month and it's been working fine up until the last week, MAYBE two weeks.
------
It's Windows 7. I'm pretty sure I bought it with Home Premium-64.

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Doc Bathroom Wall 33
Doc Bathroom Wall 29
Twitch Bathroom Wall 9
Doc Bathroom Wall 23
Doc Ideas & Support 6