• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Chased by creditors? Ask a debt collector!

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
There's really only 2 types of people that find themselves $20K in the hole. The first that gets 4 credit cards with $5K limits and blows it on women, wine and dance. The second for some reason finds themselves faced with a choice of survival or run a $20K deficient.

I have no clue how many a-holes you guys deal with every day, but I would think alot. I'd also think that anyone that makes a career out of this would eventually turn into a real jerk if he wasn't already. Sorry to get too far off topic there. I'll shoot some more questions your way when I think of them. I really enjoy the info.

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
I enjoy sharing it as well.

Honestly, for each asshole, there's a guy/gal with a busted business. A joke among collectors, at least at my agency, is that the worst thing to hear from someone is "I'm in real estate" because it always means they have no money. A lot of people have cards that were used for business and now their business has gone under and they just can't do anything. Problem is, people think that because their card is in collections, that it's over, the curtains are drawn and they should just hide.

But yeah there are also a lot of people who just hike up their cards and think they have the right to be mad at the company for trying to collect on it. I could tell you some great stories alright but not really since it's private and protected info. Just know there are equal parts broke people and chumps.

pro2A

Hell, It's about time!
Just thought I'd throw something out there with debt collection. We got into a real bad bind when I got laid off and we had to use our credit cards to stay afloat for a few months... yes I know they need to be paid, no I don't need 20 calls a day to be reminded. It simply came down to I simply did NOT have the cash at the moment. I told the lady that too many times... and they kept pestering me. Eventually once I got a good job again, we paid off the bills...

Just saying, some people know they owe and plan to pay once they get the money, but don't wanna be pestered 20 times a day.

Not everyone is a dead beat.

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
Do you use your real names on the phone?

How does debt statute of limitations work? Example: AK has a 3 year SOL where a law firm can sue to collect debt and SC has a 6 year SOL, I think. SOL is calculated from the last payment you make on the account. So, my question is if I incur a debt while living in SC and then move to AK which SOL am I under? I think it would be the state I am residence of, correct?

Saffy

Registered Member
Just thought I'd throw something out there with debt collection. We got into a real bad bind when I got laid off and we had to use our credit cards to stay afloat for a few months... yes I know they need to be paid, no I don't need 20 calls a day to be reminded. It simply came down to I simply did NOT have the cash at the moment. I told the lady that too many times... and they kept pestering me. Eventually once I got a good job again, we paid off the bills...

Just saying, some people know they owe and plan to pay once they get the money, but don't wanna be pestered 20 times a day.

Im in England so its probably different here ,, but we have a rule that says they cant call you again that same day if they have called and spoke to you once already.. and also cant call after a certain time at night. I had a lot of bother with one company who bought a debt of my sons ,, my son wasn't living with us but they only had our address as his last point of contact, what a nightmare i can tell you , i had to do a very quick course in debt collection and what is allowed and what is not:lol: One was even ringing me from his mobile so it wouldnt be recorded from his office, so i told him, that i was recording the call:nod: you wouldnt believe some of the threats and lies i had to endure. I finally got a template letter from a forum and sent it off, and lo and behold everythign was sorted quick smart and no more bother at all;)

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.

How does debt statute of limitations work? Example: AK has a 3 year SOL where a law firm can sue to collect debt and SC has a 6 year SOL, I think. SOL is calculated from the last payment you make on the account. So, my question is if I incur a debt while living in SC and then move to AK which SOL am I under? I think it would be the state I am residence of, correct?
My understanding is they could probably sue you in either state because AK is the state you lived in when the contract was entered into and SC is the state you live in now so they have jurisdiction over you. And it's my understanding the SOL starts to toll once the debt went bad, that is once you stopped paying on it, that is when the contract was breached.

EDIT: Although now that I think about it if you move to SC I don't see how a court in AK would have personal jurisdiction over you. I can find out and get back to you on this.

Last edited:

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
Obviously not, I've said that at least twice so far. But the problem is there are a lot of liars so unfortunately, we cannot always accept that we're being told the truth. You'd be surprised how often I'd get a sob story only to check their credit closer to see they have a 50k car that they're current with. People pay what they want to pay almost all the time. It's not uncommon to be lied to so even if you're in a genuine bind, we have to assume we're being lied to in some degree. Also, there's nothing illegal about being called several times a week. However...

If a creditor contacts and confirms they're speaking with you they cannot call you back that same day. If they call you twice in the same day (only if you verified your identity on the first contact, not one of those "I'm not paying I have no money *click*" type answers) then they can get in trouble.
------
Most of us do. Some people have aliases because believe it or not, collectors have been hunted down by their clients and harassed and even attacked.

I think it's where the debt originated but CO would have better knowledge than me. This also doesn't mean that you can just stop paying and wait several years for the debt to disappear, some companies like mine get brought into the picture and you can be brought to court so be aware of that as well.

Last edited:

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
AK to SC is an extreme example, but clearly with SOL laws there are ways to beat the system. Moving from NV to CA for example with a $50K debt. I would never evade a debt as such, its just something I've always wondered about.
------
Most of us do. Some people have aliases because believe it or not, collectors have been hunted down by their clients and harassed and even attacked.
I wouldn't in today's world. People with extreme debt have nothing to lose and are looking for someone the blame.

Last edited:

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
I didn't want to either, but there are legal ramifications as well and with laws getting tighter and tighter and doing more to protect these losers from paying their bills, I wouldn't be surprised if that practice becomes illegal too.