• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Character Deaths

HalfEatenSurprise

Registered Member
What is/are the most memorable, influential, striking or brilliantly written demise(s) of characters in fiction? As far as you're concerned.

It is often portrayed in numerous sources - yet is there one that sticks out.

Perhaps there was an emotional wallop to it that sticks with you. Perhaps the death was gory and violent, and was written effectively enough for you to feel the full report of such a heinous scene. Perhaps the character was a major one, or one you didn't expect to bite the dust.

E.G.
One that sticks out, especially since I just read it in the book I'm currently on is this:
Kane and Abel - By Jeffrey Archer ---
Even more so than Florentyna's rape/murder early on in the novel - the awful death of Matthew Lester really hit me, not only had I not expected it, but the almost dignified manner in which it is written seems to truly go in line with the graceful way in which he is sent to the grave.
--
It didn't make me cry, no book ever has, but it put a lump in my throat.

I'm half way through this book, it is very easily becoming the best I've ever read -- It's remarkable work, every theme is so tidily dealt with.

Anyway, please share the deaths of characters that have gotten to you.

Last edited:

Impact

V.I.P.
My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult

Their names escape me at the moment, but how the younger sister dies at the end of the book, rather than the sister with cancer. It was just a completely unexpected twist

Harry Potter

Dumbledore dying. What the fuck. He was written to be such a strong character, no-one defeated him kinda thing and then he just get's killed by a pretty average wizard. Not even the dark lord himself. Let's just say I was kinda annoyed with that one

Pugz

Ms. Malone
V.I.P.
Demonata Series

Bran's death in...book 7 i think. Dervish's near the end and Dervish's female friend (the biker chick, forgot her name) Those were all pretty big deals since they were all such good characters.

The Lake House

Oz's death! He and Max had such good chemistry, and even though the death was simple, the disappearance of his body left it much more tragic too.

Maximum Ride

Ari, for several reasons. Mostly because the way he went was totally shit, but also because there hasn't been a consistent villain since and seems to have ruined the continuation of the series.

Jeanie

still nobody's bitch
V.I.P.
The Stand

When Nick Andros dies. Every time I read it, I find myself hoping that he won't pick up the shoebox full of explosives, or that they'll get everyone out of the house in time. But then if he didn't die, Stu Redman would not have lived through his pneumonia. I still hate that Nick dies, though.

Everybody Dies by Lawrence Block. One of the Matthew Scudder mysteries.

Even though the title pretty much gives it away that some major characters will die, it's still very sad when Jim Faber gets shot. And I really hate that Andy Buckley betrayed Mick and Mick had to kill him. That might be the most heartbreaking moment in the whole series, except for Jan Keane dying in The Devil Knows You're Dead

Iris

rainbow 11!
My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult

Their names escape me at the moment, but how the younger sister dies at the end of the book, rather than the sister with cancer. It was just a completely unexpected twist

Harry Potter

Dumbledore dying. What the fuck. He was written to be such a strong character, no-one defeated him kinda thing and then he just get's killed by a pretty average wizard. Not even the dark lord himself. Let's just say I was kinda annoyed with that one
Yes! I agree with both of those, though I had a different one for harry potter.

The twins. When one of them died. i can't remember which one exactly, but I was completely devastated. That was the hardest for me in the book, and I think the hardest one overall was definitely what you said in my sister's keeper.