Character building experiences

Do you guys have any of these? Basically situations (spanning from minutes to years, I guess) that you endured and suffered but believe you came out the other side a better person for it.

Whenever I have to do something I don't want to do, I always joke about this and tell myself its 'character building' as a consolation.

Also, at what point do you think it turns from positive to damaging?

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
My dad was a manager of a Firestone store. He had me working there, changing tires, sweeping, mopping, etc..since about the time I was about 10 years old. When I was 15, I was working as a bus boy in my uncle's restaurant. I think all the hard work my parents made me do were character building experiences, they taught me the value of hard work and making and saving money. I wouldn't change any of it.

NINnerd

Survived a M&G with Trent
When I was seven, my mom got married, and the guy turned out to be a real asshole/sicko. Living in that abusive household for about seven years impacted me greatly. It has made me stronger in ways, but it's also caused some long-term problems (mentally, not physically).

Less serious experiences that were character-building would be being dumped by a boyfriend and fired from a job. When those things happen, and you come out of it ok, you realize it isn't the end of the world.

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
Do you guys have any of these? Basically situations (spanning from minutes to years, I guess) that you endured and suffered but believe you came out the other side a better person for it.

Whenever I have to do something I don't want to do, I always joke about this and tell myself its 'character building' as a consolation.

Also, at what point do you think it turns from positive to damaging?
When I read the title, I thought of my behavioral modification programs. It's true that with the difficulties we face or even if just observed, it can change us and modify the way we view things or behave in response to it.

Whether it'll be beneficial or damaging depends on how much we learn from what we just experienced or how we assess/debrief after the fact.

Monroe

Registered Member
I befriended the girl my boyfriend cheated on me with.

I know, it sounds really weird. I didn't become friends with her for that "keep your friends close..." thing.

It was more like, I didn't want to blame HER. Too often people blame "the other woman" or man, when most the time they have no idea about you. Its easier to blame the other person rather than the one you love.

When I reached out to her, she was just as angry as I was about it.

I think it was a character building experience because it was something very obviously difficult to do. I felt really mature about the situation.

Me and this person are great friends to this day

browneyes106

Registered Member
I think the deaths of my brother and cousin were character building experiences because my heart was broken and it was really weak for a long time. It took me a long time to accept their deaths and understand death better. I do think I'm better person now.

Arcadoc

Registered Member
Boy, what timing.
I happen to be having a real character building experience today. On second thought, at my age, it's more of a character revealing experience.
Here's the deal:
I own and operate a service industry business. Several weeks ago, I went to a customer's home and did a repair for them. When I finished, the lady wrote me a check in payment for my services. I told her that I didn't have my service ticket book with me but I would make one out at the shop and send it to her as a PAID invoice. I did just as I promised. I made out an invoice in my billing program, marked it PAID and included their corresponding check number, and mailed it to them.
Well, there must have been some type of misunderstanding because today I got another check from them for that same amount.
Now I could just deposit this check in my account, because I sure could use the money, but that would be neither ethical nor honest. So I am standing on my character then calling them and letting them know of their error. I'm sure they'll appreciate hearing my crosscut shredder as it chews up that check.
Ladies and Gentlemen, the real definition of Character is what's really watching you when you think no one else is watching you.

Last edited: