• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Changing the surname.

EllyDicious

made of AMBIGUITY
V.I.P.
Inspired by another thread in the Music section, I decided to open a new one discussing about changing the surname when getting married?

Do you approve of it? Ye/no, why?

I think it's very strange to change the surname after getting married, just as it is strange to take your father's surname.[as it usually happens].
The ideal would be to have a joint of your parent's surnames.

One of the best things my mom did after getting married, was to keep her maiden name. My dad approved of this and it was never an issue.
To me it doesn't make sense for a woman to follow her man's surname.
Women should keep their original identity.
That's just me though.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I don't find it strange at all, and I do hope that if I ever get married that my wife will take my surname. I'm obviously not going to force it on her, and she came make her own decision on the matter but it's always worked like that in my family. I don't know a lot of women that got married and kept their maiden name.

EllyDicious

made of AMBIGUITY
V.I.P.
I don't find it strange at all, and I do hope that if I ever get married that my wife will take my surname. I'm obviously not going to force it on her, and she came make her own decision on the matter but it's always worked like that in my family. I don't know a lot of women that got married and kept their maiden name.
When I say "strange" I didn't mean to say it's uncommon. I meant to say that it's actually senseless.

Why do you hope your wife takes your surname? Because it's common or because you'd like to think that women should take their husband's name.
I think this mentality should go away.

Kibi

Babeasaurus Sex
I would be open to it depending on whether it suited my name or not... :)

I don't personally have an issue either way. Double barrelled names amuse me (smith-jones etc) Especially when they're uber long like my teacher got married in high school (she was miss huntington) and then came back as Mrs Huntington - Tenant bloody mouthful. lol

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
It's normal for the female to take the male's surname in America but it doesn't always happen, I suppose. I just always thought growing up that they had to take it haha.

For me, it's whatever. I don't think I have the right to tell someone you must take my last name. A good compromise is to put a hyphen in between both last names. A girl I work with just got married and that's what her and her husband did. In fact, all three girls in her family did it that way. Seems to be a nice compromise if the girl doesn't want to take the name for whatever reason.

Raos

Registered Member
i would not say it is senseless. It is a way of making it easier to continue a family line and be able to track it. Think of how confusing it would be to figure out a family tree if no one ever took their spouses surname.

I have no problem with it happening or not happening. When I got married I wanted my wife to take my name and thankfully she wanted to as well. Had she not wanted to take it then I would have never brought it up again and would have been just fine with her keeping her name. If she wanted me to take her surname then chances are I would have had more of a problem with that solely because in our society I would have been looked upon as a weaker man for doing so. I do not agree with that and have no problem with any man who takes his wifes name, but society is not always the way we would want it to be.

generalblue

Where is my Queen?
Me personally, I prefer when I get married for her not to take my last name. I don't really see the point. My mom still has her last name and never changed it. And with some of my female friends that just recently got married, they still kept there last name. Only one changed there name. If my wife wants to change it fine, but I won't bring it up.

Last edited:

Rebeccaaa

yellow 4!
I don't really like the thought of changing my surname, but only simply because I don't like change. I would do it for sure, just out of tradition. I'm guessing it makes paper work etc easier too? I dunno. I do understand where you are coming from though.

Dabs

Registered Member
Well it would make things easier if anyone ever wanted to get a divorce.
So many people around here that I know, the women who have gotten divorced are right quick to say "I'm taking my maiden name back"
Hell, you never lost it to begin with, you just added on your husband's!
But to go back to your maiden name after you divorce, costs money and other legal issues.
To each his own.

Vincent_Valentine

Studley-Do-Right
I have no problem with women changing their surname, or keeping it the same. It's up to them and their partners.

I, personally, would kind of prefer for me future wife to take my name, but that is more or less because of the fact that my last name is apparently pretty damn rare and in my immediate family, I am the only male with it. So, more or less, my family name ends with me unless I have a family.