• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Changing Mobile/Cell Phones?

thealigator

Registered Member
Every month a new phone is brought onto the market, often more than that, you may never see it but mobiles are a massive business that need to keep changing. Apple are famous for bringing out a new version of their phones every year, normally around September and whilst Samsung don't have a specific calendar date they also try to bring one out each year.

Because I am locked into a contract I cannot upgrade for at least a year and half but the way my contract renewal works I usually end up getting the latest iPhone every two years quite close to the release date.

How often do you change/upgrade? Does it bother you about having the latest and greatest thing? Does it really matter? Are you less inclined to have the newest gadget and more of the "well it still works and does what it needs to do"?

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Not too long ago, we were stuck for three years(not every phone provider, but the one I deal with) but now they changed it to two years. Every time I’m due for an upgrade, I will change my phone(if money isn’t tight at that time).

thealigator

Registered Member
How do the contracts work in the US BR? Do you have to pay a massive upfront cost? The way it works in the US is that you normally get the phone for free which is subsidized from the cost of the contract of if you want a very fancy phone you pay a small upfront cost.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
How do the contracts work in the US BR? Do you have to pay a massive upfront cost? The way it works in the US is that you normally get the phone for free which is subsidized from the cost of the contract of if you want a very fancy phone you pay a small upfront cost.
Well, I don’t live in the U.S, I’m in Canada. For the most part, you’ll pay around $160-$200 for a new phone and contract. That’s including all the fees. Again, this is my phone provider, it’s different for others. If you lost your phone, and need to buy a new one(not second hand) and your contract just started, than you’ll pay around $500 for the new phone. Sorry, I don’t have time to do the conversions.