• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Championship Week '11

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
A couple conference tournaments got underway today marking the beginning of Championship Week. Over the next week and a half teams will be playing their way into (or out of) the NCAA Tournament.

Most of the attention goes to the bigger conferences, which start next week, but the smaller conference tourneys are what it's all about. Win and you're in. I'll be following all of these tourneys closely.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/champweek2011/

Last edited:

Vincent_Valentine

Studley-Do-Right
I'm going to be paying attention to some of the tourneys. Obviously I'm going to be watching the Big Ten tourney, but I'm also going to be keeping an eye on the Horizon League.

My dad went to Wright State and as a result he got alumni tickets to Wright State basketball games for a long time, so they are my second favorite team. They already won their first round game, next they need to take on the #3 seed Cleveland State, then get by Butler to get to the championship game. I doubt it will happen, but there is always hope. They (surprisingly) won it a few years ago and made it into the NCAA Tourney for only the second time ever. Who knows, maybe it'll happen again.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
Atlantic Sun Tournament started today. Belmont should be the heavy favorites, but they're in one of those small conferences where if they don't win their tourney they probably won't get an NCAA bid despite a 28-4 record. I'm hoping they win because I think they could pull of an upset in the NCAA Tourney. They did win their first round game today.

KSpiceFantastic

Haters gonna hate.
In this first week of Championship tournaments, the only tournament I care for is the Patriot League, since I live near both Lehigh and Lafayette Universities and know a bunch of people that go to Bucknell... so I only care for that one, honestly.

Bucknell will win the tournament in the Patriot League. Holy Cross and American may have a chance.

I won't be watching until next week, though.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
UNC-Asheville, Belmont, and Morehead State are the first teams into the NCAA Tournament. Belmont was really impressive, winning their tournament final by 41 points. They're projected as a 13 seed right now, and I think they'll give a 4 seed or whoever the play a really hard time.

KSpiceFantastic

Haters gonna hate.
I agree, Echoes. The only game I watched last night was the Belmont game, and it was GREAT. These guys are legit, BUT their conference is a mess of poor teams given the competition. I agree with the 13th seed projection, but the 4 team will still win and win by at least 20 points.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
They're not going to lose by 20 points to any 4 seed. I would bet quite a bit of money on that.

KSpiceFantastic

Haters gonna hate.
They're not going to lose by 20 points to any 4 seed. I would bet quite a bit of money on that.
Ok. Maybe 10. But it is hard to tell.

Indiana St. upset Missouri State to win the MVC. It was a REALLY good game on CBS.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
Indiana State (Larry Bird's alma mater) won the Missouri Valley Tournament and is heading to the dance for the first time since 2001.

Edit: Didn't see your post before I posted.
------
Here's the Big Ten Tournament bracket. First round is on Thursday.

8 Northwestern vs 9 Minnesota (winner plays 1 Ohio State)
4 Michigan vs 5 Illinois in quarterfinals
6 Penn State vs 11 Indiana (winner plays 3 Wisconsin)
7 Michigan State vs 10 Iowa (winner plays 2 Purdue)
------
Ok. Maybe 10. But it is hard to tell.
Belmont had three non-conference losses this season.

by 9 at Tennessee
by 9 at Vanderbilt
by 1 at Tennessee again

On a neutral floor I think they'll be competitive with all but the elite teams in the tournament (1 or 2 seeds).

Last edited:

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
St. Peter's, Old Dominion, Wofford, and Gonzaga are the next four teams to earn a spot in the tournament. ODU beat Notre Dame in the first round last year and should be a force to be reckoned with another this year. Wofford nearly beat Wisconsin in the first round last year.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Millz NFL 14
hepismis Hockey 1
Babe_Ruth Wrestling 5
Major College Sports 19
Major College Sports 29