Championship Week '10

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
The conference tournaments are getting underway. Some of them are over already. The major conferences get going later this week.

East Tennessee State, Winthrop, Cornell, and Murray State are the first teams to clinch automatic bids to the NCAA Tournament.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
St. Mary's beat Gonzaga in the West Coast Conference tournament final last night to get the conference's auto bid. St. Mary's was probably going to be an at-large team, but now they don't have to worry on Selection Sunday. Gonzaga will still be safely in the tournament.

Siena won the Metro Atlantic Tournament. I believe they've won first round NCAA Tournament games the last two years, including a win over my Buckeyes last year. :(
------
St John's beat UConn in the Big East first round. UConn's NCAA Tournament hopes are definitely over now.

Last edited:

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
By losing to St. Mary's, Gonzaga probably pissed away any chance to play its first and second-round games at the Spokane Arena.

They're looking at a 6 or 7 seed now.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
Anthony Johnson scored 42 points to lead Montana back from 20 down at the half for a 66-65 win over Weber State and a trip to the NCAA Tournament. I'll have to keep an eye on this guy. 42. Wow.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Anthony Johnson with 42 for the Griz, Wayne Tinkle and Co. back in the dance. Only saw the highlights of this game, looked extremely exciting.

So what's the consensus on Louisville after losing to Cincy in the BE quarters? In or out?

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
Louisville appears to be safely in the tournament. Bracket expert Joe Lunardi has them as a 9 seed in his latest Bracketology.

Georgetown knocked off Syracuse today. Onuaku left the game with a knee injury. Not sure what his status is for the NCAA Tournament, but that could knock the Orange down from a 1 to a 2 seed.

Memphis lost to Houston, perhaps knocking the Tigers off the bubble.

Wake Forest is getting crushed by Miami right now. This could make Selection Sunday a little uncomfortable for Wake.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Is this Bizarro World at the ACC Tournament.

UVa arising from the dead to beat BC?
Miami wiping out a Wake Forest fading faster than snow at the equator?

I better hope so. Otherwise, NCSU will get drilled by Clemson.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
Evan Turner, POTY, just nailed a 3 pointer from a step or two inside half court at the buzzer to knock off Michigan. Amazing. They'll play the Illinois/Wisconsin winner tomorrow.

Looking forward to the Big East semis tonight. Been a weird tournament with Syracuse, Nova, and Pitt losing their first games. Notre Dame is getting hot at the right time.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Houston tops Southern Miss 74-66 and will face favored UTEP in CUSA finals Saturday. Many analysts have CUSA only getting one bid this season. I think UAB and UTEP should get in and Memphis is on the radar as well.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
Houston won the C-USA auto bid. That means the conference will certainly have more than one bid.

Ohio State won in double overtime against Illinois and will play the winner of Purdue/Minnesota in the Big Ten final. The Buckeyes went on a 20-0 run at one point in the second half.

The 4th #1 seed (the three locks are Kansas, Kentucky, and Syracuse) will be between Duke, West Virginia, Kansas State, and Ohio State. All of them are playing in their respective conference championship games today or tomorrow. I think West Virginia deserves it if they win tonight. Duke is considered the frontrunner, but they've had an easy road in the ACC Tournament.