Champions League 2009-10

Discussion in 'Football / Soccer' started by English-Emo-Boy, Jul 30, 2009.

1. English-Emo-Boy

English-Emo-Boy Supreme System Lord V.I.P. Lifetime

So the qualifying for the Champions League is already up and running.

Who will you be keeping an eye on?

For me I think this could be the season where Spanish football regains their strangle hold on Europe. With the English league considered the strongest in the world and with all four of English representatives dominating the competition in recent years, this really could be the time where Madrid and Barcelona regain their 'giant' status.

You'll still have all your main contenders in the shape of Chelsea, Inter Milan, Manchster United, Bayern Munich, Liverpool and AC milan but I really feel the two teams to watch will be the defending champions Barcelona and the summers big spenders Real Madrid.

2. Major

Major 4 legs good 2 legs bad V.I.P.

So much of it really depends on the draw after the group stage, but I see the main contenders being Barcelona, Liverpool, and Chelsea obviously. Real Madrid usually disappoints, but who knows how good they're going to be with some of the players they've signed. Inter are always a let down in the CL. Man U won't be nearly as good as they were the last few years.

3. Vidic15

Vidic15 No Custom Title Exists V.I.P. Lifetime

I really want to see Inter go further in the Champions League, but their talent is usually overridden by teams such as Manchester United, AC Milan & Barcelona.

4. Major

Today was the draw for the group stage.

Group A
    Bayern
    Juventus
    Bordeaux
    Maccabi Haifa

Group B
    Manchester United
    CSKA Moscow
    Besiktas
    Wolfsburg

Group C
    Milan
    Real Madrid
    Marseille
    Zurich

Group D
    Chelsea
    Porto
    Atletico
    APOEL

Group E
    Liverpool
    Lyon
    Fiorentina
    Debrecen

Group F
    Barcelona
    Inter
    Dynamo Kyiv
    Rubin

Group G
    Sevilla
    Rangers
    Stuttgart
    Unirea Urziceni

Group H
    Arsenal
    AZ Alkmaar
    Olympiacos
    Standard

I don't really see any of the favorites having any trouble advancing. Seems like Man United got an easy group. The road trips will be tough, but none of those teams can match their talent.

5. English-Emo-Boy

I thought the group stage draw was a damb squib.

All that hype and build up and fuss for a draw that went on for hours and in the end it was a huge anti-climax.

For me the group stage draw will never be a real spectacle until the seedings are scrapped and all the teams are in one pot.

If Barcelona, Juventus, Manchester United and Real Madrid are all in the same group then so be it, for me that would be far more exciting that the current set up.

6. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

Lots of Italian vs French clubs. This is going to be fun. :lol:

7. English-Emo-Boy

Yeah I noticed that.

All the English clubs have virtually a free pass to the knock-out phase. The only down side for United is that they have a few long trips to endure, particularly with away Premier League games following on the immediate saturday.

8. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

Oooh it feels different to have cable TV. I actually get to see other matches. Watched Marseille get beaten by Milan. :hah:

9. Major

The Champions League broadcast rights here switched over to Fox Soccer Channel from ESPN this year. I'm happy about it because I think they'll show more games and a better variety of teams. ESPN always showed Manchester United and Liverpool, every single fucking time.

10. Major

A few surprises so far after the first three games.

Liverpool are 3rd in Group E. Next game is on the road against group leader Lyon. Ouch.

Inter are in 4th in Group F, though only 1 point behind 1st place. Three draws in three games. Barcelona lost at home to Rubin Kazan? Wtf? Never even heard of them.

Bordeaux leads Group A over Juventus and Bayern Munich.

Other than Liverpool, the English teams continue to dominate. Man U, Chelsea, and Arsenal lead their groups.