CFL

Discussion in 'Sports' started by padd, Sep 6, 2008.

1. padd

padd Registered Member

Canadian Football League; during the NFL season I'm to busy to pay attention to football, so I never have. But I have followed the CFL every now and then, (not much recently) which runs during the summer-autumn months. Has anyone else ever heard of it. They made an expansion at one point into the US. it extended until California, although it was never succesfull, alot of American teams folded and moved to Canada.

notice the difference
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 6, 2008

2. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

Since I live in Canada, I know what the CFL is, but personally I don't watch much of it. I'll watch the Argos play from time to time, but not often.

I hate three down football, I think the NFL is 1000 times better then the CFL.

3. padd

padd Registered Member

do you watch the Grey Cups.. I think it is more watched than the Superbowl in Canada.. or at least more respected.

4. Babe_Ruth

If there's no other good Sporting Events on television during the Grey Cup then I'll maybe watch it, but it all depends who's playing.

I personally think the NFL is more popular in Canada then the CFL. If there rumours are true that the Bills will be move to Canada after Ralph Wilson dies, then you'll see that the NFL will get more fans, better ratings then the CFL.

5. padd

padd Registered Member

Maybe so, but right now the CFL is alot more popular than the NFL. the only places that really love the NFL in Canada is Quebec and Ontario, but if you go in the Canadian mid west where they don't even have NHL teams, there is a big demand for CFL football. Thir stadiums get packed.. they pretty much get packed all over Canada I should say. I remeber I went to a CFL game 2 years ago, the atmosphere was just as good as any NFL game.

The only reason people I know watch the super bowl, is as an excuse to party and get drunk. And I never understood how a Canadian can have a favorite NFL team, and follow it religiously, also the NFL is at the same time as the NHL season, so I don't think many Canadians will watch the NFL, even if it is on Sunday afternoon. when we have no home teams. How could they get into the sport when it is rarley in our culture.

Of course there is Gambling but that doesn't necesarily make you a sports fan

6. Babe_Ruth

I have a favorite NFL team, and I follow the NFL religiously. I also love watching the Super Bowl, not because I want to get drunk and party, but because I know it's going to be an entertaining game.

I agree with you when you say the CFL is really popular in the mid-west, but I guarantee you that there's lots of NFL fans there as well, and they follow the NFL just like the CFL.

Second off, there's barely any NHL games on Sunday, the NFL is always shown on Sunday's and Mondays, later in the year you have Saturday games as well. So I don't see a problem with the schedule.

It doesn't matter if we don't have home teams, if your a fan of a sport like the NFL then you'll follow it no matter what. Also it doesnt matter if it's not in our culture.

7. padd

padd Registered Member

Yeah but that's just you, There is not many people that follow every sports league. And in Canada what are the chances that someone's favorite sports league is the NFL and they'll follow it every Sunday.
    Same as above, 1st of all Canada has no team as I said before, yes there are few fans of the NFL and few people that watch it but I don't think there is a lot of people. alot of people think football is boring anyways, I remeber personally a college in montreal all the players were either from eiter Jamaica or USA and the bleachers were EMPTY.. COLLEGE GAME! Why do you think the CFL has 3 downs, the game picks up faster. the NFL is during the work/winter season, culturaly for Canadians.. even if it is on Sunday who would follow it? especially the day after a hockey night in Canada hangover.

of course this is just my opinion, but something Canada does not have for the NFL is a dedicated fan base. unless it was a playoff game when did you ever step in sports bar and see a bunch of fans supporting a NFL team. Never, because we don't have teams. Sure, 1 guy can like the Bills here and there... another guy can like Patriots here and there, then another guy can like the Packers. Although in the Summer in Quebec go into a bar and everyone will be in front of the TV for an Allouettes game.. in Ontario same can be said about the Argos.

No doubt about it if the Bills make a permanent move to Toronto they may outlast the Argos, but that is only 1 team. Unless the NFL expands into more Canadian cities (which will never happen) the CFL and the NFL will co-exist in Canada.

And if that does happen I don't think it will do much help for a league to begin with. Look at basketball.. at one point we had 2 NBA teams, and it never helped the sport grow. Baseball, Canadian expansion never helped the sport grow. I think Toronto is just a money tree for American sports leagues. Fact is, they have a big population, corporations and media. Even people who are not fans will support.

BTW: would you want to see CFL vs NFL exhibition games, and don't say the NFL would always beat the CFL.. NFL teams have played CFL teams about 6 times in the past, and the CFL has won once.. the Ti-Cats beat the Bills once.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2008
  8. Babe_Ruth

First off, there's tons of NFL fans in Canada, I cannot believe you don't realize that. I can almost guarantee you that there's more NFL fans in Canada then CFL fans.

There's no way that the CFL will survive if the NFL gets a team in Canada, it will slowly die down in my opinion.

If the best CFL players played the best NFL players in an All Star game, there's no way that the CFL would stand a chance.

9. padd

padd Registered Member

honestly the only die hard NFL fans that I know are either black or hispanic. And I work for a carpenter, I meet and talk to alot of people.. never an NFL fan.

So are you saying that the entire nation of Canada will start following the Toronto Bills. Are you serious!? People in Winnipeg will forget the Bombers and follow the Bills? That is hard to believe. Sure, the Argos will be lost but the rest of the league shouldn't have problems. That little NFL fan population we have will become fans of the Toronto Bills. As I mentionned before, Toronto is the money tree for American Sports leagues. NBA and MLB won't stand a chance survivng in any other city in Canada. Toronto's 6 million population is culturally diverse, not far from the American border.. so having "American Sports" Leagues in Toronto is good for business. ALTHOUGH.. not many still really gives a shit about the Raptors or the Blue Jays. The Leafs (who have not made the playoffs since 2004) have had more media deals and sellouts than the MLB and NBA teams. And what are the chances you get an NFL team in Winnipeg(example).. they can't even support a hockey team, and that's their most popular sport.

I think the Allouettes have more talent than the Miami Dolhpins, but that's just me. It would still be fun to watch exhibition games between a CFL club and an NFL club.

10. Babe_Ruth

I'm not Black and I'm not hispanic, neither are my friends who are NFL fans, sorry but that's just plain stupid to say.

I'm not saying it's going to die quickly, I'm saying that people will start paying more attention to the NFL then the CFL, and just imagine in a couple of years the Super Bowl comes to Toronto, do you know how many people are going to attend that game.

The Raptors sell out a lot of games, they average about 16,000 fans a game. The Jays get around 30,000 fans a game. Also the Leafs sell out every game.

Why are you even comparing Winnipeg and Toronto? Toronto is the biggest city in Canada, also I personally think that if Winnipeg would get an NFL team it would easily survive, if the Blue Bombers can survive then an NFL team could do the same.

Lets say the Dolphins roster got there own CFL team, I believe they would win the Grey Cup. They have a lot of talented players, and in my opinion they would destroy any team in the CFL.