Census Worker Killed

Discussion in 'Other Discussions' started by ExpectantlyIronic, Sep 24, 2009.

1. ExpectantlyIronic

ExpectantlyIronic e̳̳̺͕ͬ̓̑̂ͮͦͣ͒͒h̙ͦ̔͂?̅̂ ̾͗̑

-Hanged Census worker had ‘fed’ on chest

Why would anybody be antagonistic towards a census worker of all things? There are very few things I can imagine to be more harmless.

2. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

That's pretty screwed up. It reminds me of the Joker in TDK, killing cops and hanging them. Obviously nobody is condoning this kind of stuff, no matter which side of the aisle they are on. Hopefully they catch this guy.

I can't think of a reason that a census worker was targeted either. That's a pretty low level government job. I'm sure it was just some guy trying to provide for his family.

3. Nevyrmoore

Nevyrmoore AKA Ass-Bandit

Well, to some people, being part of the system means you're somehow involved in it all. Those types of people don't care if you're the lowest of the low, if you work for the government, you're apparently just as guilty as the higher echelons.

4. MenInTights

MenInTights not a plastic bag

I worked for the Census a little last year in Alaska. There are things with the 2010 Census that is spawning conspiracy theories. I had to deal with these every day and honestly there were a few times that I was scared. I eventually quit. Before I get into the things that have some people worried, let me say I'm just trying to present what people are thinking. If their fears are legit or crazy, that's for another discussion. Anyway, this is what I heard every day:

• Why does the Census need the gps coordinates of my house? We had handheld computers and were coding the front doors of houses.
    • Why does the Census want to know if anyone else is living on my property?
    • Why is the Census under control of the executive branch now?
    • Do you work for ACORN?

I quit after a guy threatened to beat me up if I geo-coded his house. There's a lot of angry out there surrounding the Census.

5. Wade8813

Wade8813 Registered Member

This one seems pretty obvious - that's what the census looks for.

I'd think that people working for the census would start asking the higher ups for why they're doing these things, so they'd have an explanation.

6. Tucker

Tucker Lion Rampant

There are a lot of crazy people. End of story.

7. Nevyrmoore

Nevyrmoore AKA Ass-Bandit

But how much would it change? I'm guessing a few people would be reasonable, but others would still decide to shoot the messenger. Literary.

8. MenInTights

We went through all the training about how the Census data is protected for 72 years and the reasoning for the geocoding, how important it is to get an accurate count, etc.. None of that really matters when you show up at a guys house with a handheld and start gathering info and he has a deep distrust in the government. I don't trust the government either, but some people take it to a whole new level.

9. Wade8813

Wade8813 Registered Member

Any information given to the census workers is voluntary. If they ask how many people are living there, and you say 6, they're not going to ask to see proof. Do you ask for permission before geo-coding?

10. MenInTights

I can't remember the exact script. It was something like:
    "Hi Sir, my name is xxx I am from the US Census Bureau (show ID). We are in your neighborhood preparing the maps for next years Census. I need to ask a few questions. All information is confidential and is not shared with any other government agency. Is this a single family residence? Are there any other structures on the property that people live in or could live in? I will be on the property for just another minute taking a gps coordinate of your house and all of the structures that people live in or could live in. Thank you for your time."