Censoring free speech

Discussion in 'Politics & Law' started by pro2A, Oct 23, 2008.

1. pro2A

pro2A Hell, It's about time!

The Fairness Doctrine...

It's pretty simple. The reason Rush and the others do so well is because of their ratings, not because it's forced. It's because people listen to them and understand them. You know how you get angry about "little Rush Limbaugh's"? Obviously you understand he does well.

Air America doesn't do well because no one listens to it. It's all that evil capitalism :rolleyes: Stations keep people who keep their ratings high. The Fairness Doctrine is quite simply a ploy to shut up the political right. It's censorship. Before someone on the left goes off on a tangent about how it's not censorship, the Fairness Doctrine works in a way that gives "equal" airtime to an opposing view. Radio stations would be flooded with calls demanding equal time and a rebuttal to "said issue". It would not be profitable to stay on the air, people would stop listening. It would be a loss to the station and they would end up shutting down, thus silencing talk radio. The Dems who support this know damn well what it will do.

YouTube - LouTube - The Fairness Doctrine is Censorship

2. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

Well, if it is a plot by the left Pro2a, why is Barack against it?

I don't like any law that can be construed as unecessary censorship. I'm a firm believer that we give words power and that saying that certain things (such as curse words) are unfit for 'civilized' speech is ridiculous.

3. pro2A

Remember this is also the guy that says he "believes" the 2nd Amendment is an individual right... we know his true opinion.

4. micfranklin

micfranklin Eviscerator

1st and 2nd Amendments aren't quite the same, last I checked.

5. MenInTights

MenInTights not a plastic bag

I am glad that Obama is against it. That's very good. However, this matter is starting to heat up again with Senate Dems. I am getting worried that the Congress will push a bill through and an Obama presidency will not veto it. The latest is Senator Jeff Bingaman came out a few days ago with a very strong support for it. I can think of 4 or 5 Senators on record for the Fairness Doctrine and I suspect a lot more are in favor.

I heard the best argument against the fairness doctrine just today actually. How long will a station survive if the government mandates the following formats:
    4am-noon: Country music
    noon-6pm: Classic music
    6pm-midnight: Heavy metal
    midnight-4am: Easy listening

Its just a ridiculous law. Its amazing that US Senators (thankfully not Obama or McCain) have come out in support of this law.

6. Merc

You should be able to realize what he was getting at, dude. It has nothing to do with calling them the same.

7. pro2A

Lol... you listen to him too huh? :)

8. MenInTights

MenInTights not a plastic bag

:lol:
    yeah- Glenn Beck is pretty much the only talk radio guy I listen to any more. although, about once a month I find myself going paranoid :shifteyes: then I have to turn it off for a few days to prevent myself from jumping off a bridge. :lol:

9. Merc

Glenn Beck is a damn cancer. He thinks video games encourage rape.

Duke1985 likes this.
  10. pro2A

I don't think he quite put it that way Cons...

He is still popular none the less.