Cena isn't Superman

Discussion in 'Wrestling' started by Babe_Ruth, Aug 25, 2010.

1. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

I'm tired of people calling Cena Superman. His win/loss record isn't all that impressive this year.

I just hate the word in general, but people need to stop calling him that because he's not.

Yes, he did come back out of no where to defeat Gabriel and Barrett at Summerslam, but he took advantage of "rookie mistakes" Just because he comes from a beating, doesn't mean that he's portrayed as an immortal. He loss plenty of times this year.

It's funny, no one called Hogan Superman, The Rock and Stone Cold either. But if you study wrestling than you'll see they were worst than what Cena is today when it comes to "come from behind victories."

Cena is the main guy in the company right now, you don't have to accept it, but it's reality. He might not be the most over wrestler in the business today but he brings in fans and sells merchandise.

2. viLky

viLky ykLiv

Many things that need to be explained:

1) Win/Loss record doesn't matter. Why? Because a lot of his losses are due to DQs, team matches, ect... I'm always referring to matches where he SHOULD lose, but doesn't due to bad writing from WWE. Thus, "Superman"

2) His SS match is a great example. He took a DDT to the cement and still manage to "overcome the odds" like he usually does. A DDT to the cement!?! Come on, how weak must you make Nexus look.

3) Hogan, Rock and Stone Cold are no longer active wrestlers with WWE. They are either gone or with TNA, currently. Besides, I always say the same thing with Triple H, well, 'cuz he does the same thing. In matches he should lose and build the other guy, he refuses to do so.

Basically, matches that "count" he should lose, but doesn't.

I'm annoyed due to Cena winning the matches that count. Nexus is now fizzling out due to their lost at SS. If Team WWE lost, then it wouldn't have affected their status either way. Nexus needed that win to build them up even further. Allowing Cena to win after getting a beat down AND taking a DDT to the cement only screams Superman tactic.

BTW, I don't have a problem with Cena, mainly the WWE writing.

3. I have a problem with the Cena gimmick overall. It's old and lame now, and it'd been drawn out for WAY TOO LONG! He not only needs a needs a new gimmick, but he needs one that's the EXACT OPPOSITE of what he has now.

I know i'm gonna get it for this...

But Cena does what people call acting black, but lets get politically correct here. Cena's gimmick acts like a race that acts like another who made the gangster thing kool. Rapper talk about them being the True Gangsters, but that's so BS b/c the Italian's are the True gangsters, and Cena's gimmick is a wannabe rapper who thinks he is. Sure his gimmick has been modified to a rapper soldier, but still it's old and lame and it needs a change.

The whole wannabe rapper is so stupid, yea his gimmick has brought in younger fans, but it's also teaching them it's ok to act like something your not. And I know i'm gonna get it from my argument, but it's true...Oh it's Damn True. Hehehe Kurt Angle moment :D

4. Babe_Ruth

His Win/Loss does matter if you call him Superman, one of the reasons you call him that is because you believe he never loses, which is farther from the truth.

Weak? Nexus looked amazing in that match, Cena put both Gabriel and Barrett over in that Main Event.

Yes, Cena took that DDT on the cement floor, but he took advantage of Gabriel taking his time on top ropes. To me that is good booking, since it shows that Gabriel is a rookie(which he is) and that he can't make mistakes like that against Main Even wrestlers. It's a big aspect in the wrestling business. It's like all other sports, rookies make mistakes and veterans take advantage of that.

I mentioned those guys because back in their prime they always came back after taking a beating and won the match. It's how you're suppose to book your top guys in the business. You can't make him lose most his matches, it doesn't work that way.

I'll use Hogan as an example, back in the 80's Hogan was the top guy, he was selling merchandise, selling out arena's. Do you think it would be smart move by Vince to make him lose? No it wouldn't.

Team Nexus put on a strong showing in the SS match, I agree with you that they should of won the match, but they're not sizzling out. They dominated Raw the next day. The writers didn't make them look bad at all in that seven on seven elimination match.

5. Millz

Millz LGB Staff Member V.I.P.

I echo what Babe_Ruth just said...I dont have the numbers here but later on I'll check into Cena's record closer to see where the wins came and where the losses came.

The Cena hate is mostly jealousy from people and the stuff on Triple H is mostly bullshit as well. Vince McMahon is in charge...not those guys. I don't know how many times that has to be said.

Like Biz said, you dont book your top talent to lose. That just doesn't make any sense at all.

6. But there's a difference between being a sell and drawing in a crowd, and made to look unstoppable. They make Cena look like it takes an army to stop him, and it's not really the matches that gets me, it's the Gimmick it's self. Even out of a match, they make Cena look like it takes the entire locker room to take him down. They could put him against Khali, Big Show, Kane and Taker, and lets be realistic about this, in reality there's no way Cena could win, better yet survive it...But with the writers making Cena look unstoppable, he will not only survive, but he'll win too.

7. Millz

Millz LGB Staff Member V.I.P.

Was it realistic when Hulk Hogan beat Andre the Giant then? Or Bret Hart beating Kevin Nash? Its not about it being believable because its a fake show.

What is John Cena's gimmick anyways? He's just a normal guy that the fans love or love to hate. He's not a marine anymore.

8. Babe_Ruth

You do know wrestling is scripted right? I'm pretty sure you do. Cena as the size and strenght to at least make those matches against Show, Undertaker, Kane realistic.

We're not talking about Mysterio here. Cena is a legitimate Heavyweight in the WWE. If he does go on and beats Big Show it does look believable. He can actually pick him up and give him the F U, that's not fake he's actually lifting him up.

The point you're trying to make right now is pretty moot in my opinion.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2010
  9. Your right it wasn't when Hogan beat Andre...Now with bret, it is b/c he focuses on the legs, it is pretty realistic to take out a tall man's legs.

Cena's gimmick is a wannabe rapper who doesn't rap. :lol:
    ------
    I'm talking about if he went against all of them in one match. And yes I do know...it's pretty obvious. And yes I do know Cena is a Heavyweight, and I do see Cena beating Show in a one on one match, but really, if he faced all Four of them, there is no way even in fantasy Cena could win or survive.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2010
  10. Shooting_Palanx

Shooting_Palanx The Rock is cooking atm..

Cena still does the salute though lol....doesn't that sort of tie him in with the whole marine thing?

I am still LOVING cena at the moment, my favorite wrestler at the moment and loving everything about him as usual :)

Blame the writers, Cena's just doing what he does best, and it's selling his character like no tomorrow HAHA! :D