Celtic

Phonically speaking; which one is it?

• Total voters

icegoat63

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
What with my mom on a "Celtic Thunder" high right now I've been seeing the word all over the place. Problem is I hear it being pronounced two different ways... Can someone clear this up for me? How in the hell is this word Properly Pronounced?

icegoat63

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
me being an english nut I always just went with words that were similar... Celler, Celery, Celebrate... and so I just assumed it was the "Sell-Tick" version. But the more I hear the other the more I feel confused :hah:

Bananas

Endangered Species
The proper way if "Keltick" with a hard C, however the English language being the English language decided a C before an E should be a soft C that sounds more like an S.
Link

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
Kell-tick

But you can probably blame the French why it's pronounced cell-tick. :hah:

Bananas

Endangered Species
[strike]The proper way if "Keltick" with a hard C, however the English language being the English language decided a C before an E should be a soft C that sounds more like an S.[/strike]
Link

It was the Frenchies fault...ask how they pronounce it and do the exact opposite!:rolleyes:

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
Yep, that's what I said mon cher Bananas. But my family is Celtique (allez les bretons!) and though the French do pronounce it with the s sound, the real Celts know to pronounce it with a k.