Celtic

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by icegoat63, Dec 5, 2008.

?

Phonically speaking; which one is it?

1. Sell-Tick

42.9%
  2. Kell-Tick

57.1%
  3. neither...

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. icegoat63

icegoat63 Son of Liberty V.I.P. Lifetime

What with my mom on a "Celtic Thunder" high right now I've been seeing the word all over the place. Problem is I hear it being pronounced two different ways... Can someone clear this up for me? How in the hell is this word Properly Pronounced?

2. English-Emo-Boy

English-Emo-Boy Supreme System Lord V.I.P. Lifetime

I've always pronounced it 'Selltick' but I think Scottish people prenounce it 'Keltick'.

Just depends on your particular region.

icegoat63 likes this.
  3. Jeanie

Jeanie still nobody's bitch V.I.P. Lifetime

Unless you're talking about the basketball team in Boston, it's Kell-tick

4. icegoat63

icegoat63 Son of Liberty V.I.P. Lifetime

me being an english nut I always just went with words that were similar... Celler, Celery, Celebrate... and so I just assumed it was the "Sell-Tick" version. But the more I hear the other the more I feel confused :hah:

5. Bananas

Bananas Endangered Species

The proper way if "Keltick" with a hard C, however the English language being the English language decided a C before an E should be a soft C that sounds more like an S.
    Link

6. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

Kell-tick

But you can probably blame the French why it's pronounced cell-tick. :hah:

7. DinoFlintstone

DinoFlintstone "There can be only one!"

'Seltik' is the football team. Celtic Football Club < and it's the original pronunciation. 'Keltic' was just a mispronunciation, but is now acceptable, apart from when pronouncing the name of the football club/team.

8. Bananas

Bananas Endangered Species

It was the Frenchies fault...ask how they pronounce it and do the exact opposite!:rolleyes:

9. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

Yep, that's what I said mon cher Bananas. But my family is Celtique (allez les bretons!) and though the French do pronounce it with the s sound, the real Celts know to pronounce it with a k.

10. LadyPinky

LadyPinky scientia potestas est

Kell-tick is how I have always pronounced it. Never heard it pronounced sell-tick before.