• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Cell shading: love it or hate it?

Cell shading: love it or hate it

• love it [ ie like ]

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • hate it [ ie dislike ]

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Wrecked

Registered Member
RossDude said:
That is what they did with the new Ultimate Spiderman, they cell shaded to give it a comic book feel. I haven't played the game, but from what I've seen, it seems very fitting.
yes, the atmosphere for US was done perfectly. many of the still from the game are actual frames from the comic.

if you're a spidey fan, you should most def check out this game.

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
Perfect Dark Zero was originally going to be cell shaded, and very Anime-ish. Did anyone else see the "Rare on the XBOX" demo a few E3's ago? They showed a cell shaded Joanna Dark and I have to say, it was not a good look for the series.

Wrecked

Registered Member
Andrew said:
Perfect Dark Zero was originally going to be cell shaded, and very Anime-ish. Did anyone else see the "Rare on the XBOX" demo a few E3's ago? They showed a cell shaded Joanna Dark and I have to say, it was not a good look for the series.
i did not see the "rare on the xbox" demo but i have seen pictures of Joanna Dark in her cell shaded form in the past. my first reaction was that it was a big twist, i thought it looked cool but didn't go along with it's predecessor.

Pianobone

Registered Member
There's not a middle-of-the-road option on your poll. I hated how Wind Waker looked. Japanimoso or whatever his name is should have been shot for doing that. But other cell shaded games are alright, like XIII. Games that started out as comics look alright cell shaded.

Pianobone

Registered Member
It's a technique for creating game graphics. I believe that cell shading goes against traditional polygon type images, if I remember correctly.

Basically- look at "The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker" on the Gamecube. That is a cell-shaded game. Notice how Link is missing a nose and the whole game looks like a bad anime. That's cell-shading.

NewGamePlus

Registered Member
Pianobone said:
Basically- look at "The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker" on the Gamecube. That is a cell-shaded game. Notice how Link is missing a nose and the whole game looks like a bad anime. That's cell-shading.
Well, I supposed I'm biased by the way you've described it (I obviously know where YOU stand), but I must say that I know the "nose-less" look and it drives me crazy. Weird physical inconsistancies like that in a game are an eyesore and just like poor contrast or over-grain in film production. I vote dislike.

Pianobone

Registered Member
I voted dislike.

ltk9492

Registered Member
i LIKE the cell shading

like the game XIII. it was good.

dk_rare

Registered Member
RossDude said:
That is what they did with the new Ultimate Spiderman, they cell shaded to give it a comic book feel. I haven't played the game, but from what I've seen, it seems very fitting.
Point of interest, PCPP have said that Ultimate Spiderman is a terrible game and should be avoided. They did say it looked good though, but they had nothing else good to say about the game.