Cell Phone Ads

Discussion in 'Money & Investing' started by Mirage, Oct 21, 2005.

1. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

Has anybody else heard about cell phone ads? I heard that this was in the works about a year ago, so I'm not surprised to see it become a reality.

If you have a bluetooth enabled phone, and you are in a highly populated city strip or airport, you may soon be a target of cell phone video spam.

I don't know about anyone else, but I am betting I will become annoywed with this new "advertising" market fairly quickly..

From what I've heard, there will be no way to stop this form of advertising. :(

If you are interested, there was a video in the video section on www.FoxNews.com under TECH.

See what you think.

2. softwarewiz

softwarewiz Registered Member

Yes, they are coming and "resistance is futile". As soon as the search engines began making alliances and buy-ups of cell phone related companies, etc., it was only a matter of time. After all, keep in mind that search engines make something like 95% of their income from advertising.

So once you began to have access to the internet through your cell phone, it really was just a matter of time before advertising went along with it.

What really annoys me is advertising in movie theaters. First you had to sit through and watch those silly theater PSAs about keeping quiet and turning off your cell phone, but now there are ads for Coke, etc. HELLO! I just paid $15 to get into this darn theater, $12 for popcorn and a drink and now you want me to watch 10 minutes of advertisements for products too!

Sorry, pet peeve .....

But, seriously, look for advertising to show up on any new electronic "update" that involves search engines adding more usability and more options to users. It's the only way they really have to fund these (unless it's MSN you're talking about and I don't know if I want to ... talk about Microsoft that is, at least not this early in the morning :) ...

3. Mr_Snipes

Mr_Snipes Registered Member

Yes, I did know that it was coming. That is probably why I will not have internet access setup for my cell phone. I want to use it for phones calls not for the internet. I will only use a computer/laptop for that.

My 2 cents worth.

4. stockbroker

stockbroker Registered Member

I have heard of this before. The only thing I can think of is to return fire, ping the damned things to death. :lol:

5. leopard22

leopard22 Registered Member

Some time has passed since we last talked about this and I didn't belong to the forum then so I never got to put in my 2 cents worth until now hehehe

Cell phone ads are now reality in some areas :-o From some news items I've seen, they are not being received too well so maybe they'll die a natural death. I just hope no one develops the technology (actually it probably already exists) to make you listen to an ad before your call is put through. Kind of like how you have to watch ads at the movies now before the previews which are also becoming endless. It was bad enough having the movie theater push their popcorn and raisinettes, but having to see car ads, etc. is just too much. After all, like my cell phone, I'm paying for this already. If costs aren't covered by what you pay your cell company, they should raise their rates instead of turning to ads, IMHO.

Has anyone actually seen an ad on their cell yet? I don't have mine Internet-enabled so I don't, but I can't imagine you can get much across on that tiny screen (which is my rationale for no internet connection either - well, that and not wanting to be tempted to work while I'm out and about doing something else).